1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please Help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RAWright1987, May 24, 2007.

1. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

I am currently a sophomore at a local junior college in Alabama. I plan on transferring to the University of Alabama and majoring in journalism in hopes of one day becoming a sports journalist. I have aspired to be a sports journalist since I was in the 8th grade and my interest reached an all-time high last December when I volunteered to work within the Media Relations Department at the inaugural PapaJohns.Com Bowl in Birmingham, Al. I was exposed to many different occupations that day that deal with sports and I can not think of anything better than dealing with sports on an everyday basis and making money off of it. So if any of you guys can.....give me some pointers and help show me the right direction to go. I would greatly appreciate it.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would learn to spell relations.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You won't make any real money off it.

4. Damn, Cadet beat me to it.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

If you're in it to make money, wrong biz.

You'll "get paid to watch sports" as some say. But that's about where the money ends. There ain't much left over after a month of bills.

6. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

When I worked the bowl game I was exposed to many people who weren't journalists. I wanted to ask them what their actual job title was and what they did to get to that position but I wasn't allowed to because I had to act in a professional manner. I just want to be involved with sports in some form throughout my life. If journalism does not work out I will try to enter another field. I just always felt that going into sports journalism would be my best career option because throughout high school my English Teachers urged me to pursue this career because of my strong creative writing skills and my knowledge of sports.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Learn how to spell teacher, too.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

IMHO, it is not unprofessional for a young person or student to ask someone about his/her job. It's part of the learning process. Three rules:

1. Do not attempt a conversation when that person is busy. If you happen to catch them when you think they aren't busy but they are, apologize and let them know you're eager to speak with them at their convenience.

2. Ask intelligent questions. "What was your career path?" or "How did you get to your current position?" or "What are your job duties?" are good questions. "How much do you make?" or "How quickly can I become a big-wig like you?" are bad questions.

3. You don't always need to talk to the big-wigs. Ask these questions of assistants or support staff, because they are more likely to be in a position you will be in and they also have a very good idea of what their boss does and how he/she became the boss.

And a rule so important it can't even be numbered: DO NOT bother a working writer. Catch them at the food table or waiting for batting practice to start or whatever. But not while they're pecking away on press row or about to conduct an interview.

9. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

I'm attempting to type in a cast and it is pretty difficult. Trust me, I spell much better than the average person.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

And inaugural.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

Does that mean you've been typecast?

Dang, I'm funny!

12. RAWright1987

RAWright1987 New Member

What does that mean? I had a cyst removed from my wrist and had to have my wrist stabilized so that scar tissue will form and greatly decrease the chances of a golf ball sized cyst reappearing for the third time.

Draft saved Draft deleted