1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please help - Mac problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Another Beetus needs Mac help thread.

This time, I was restarting after installing my updates. Everything looked to be OK, still made the noise and popped up the OS X screen with the blue background. But then it wouldn't load. Nothing happens, and I've rebooted many times. Are there any ways to try and fix this short of taking it in to a repair place?

(I'm posting from work now. Any help you can give would be appreciated.)
    Thanks!
    -Beetus

2. duckncover

duckncover Member

Re: I know I'm fcuked, but...

I thought Macs were infallible! Mr. Jobs! Paging Mr. Jobs!

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

They have been for me. When I've had "problems" in the past, it was just me doing something wrong. So that's why I'm hoping this one's me, too.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Doesn't work...my place runs PCs and this is my personal comp. ;)

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anybody? Anybody?

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hate to say this, but it sounds like what happened to me a while back, which turned out to be a bad logic board.

If you can't get it recovered (others smarter than me here might be able to help you), take it to a Mac store. They have a $300 flat rate thing where they send it out and fix whatever is wrong, regardless of what it is. I priced getting a logic board done through other repair places and it cost several times as much for the part alone. The Mac store had mine back to me in two days, good as new.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed that isn't the problem, but thanks for the advice. I'm really glad I've got my external with everything backed up on it, though.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If it's a logic board, your data is safe. Oh, and forgot to mention that obviously if you have AppleCare, you have no worries. I didn't have it, hence the $300.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yeah, I didn't sign up for it either. But my comp's almost 2 years old now and was on clearance when I bought it.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What type of machine is it? And what updates did you install?

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's an iBook and I installed the iTunes update and whatever the most recent general update was when it prompted me.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's a G4 if that helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted