1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLEASE HELP: Emigrated vs. Immigrated

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Doing a feature on a local team that has some foreign-born players as well as a couple of first-generation kids of immigrants and want to make sure I use the words correctly.

Should it be the family immigrated to the U.S. and emigrated from their homeland? Or is it proper to say they immigrated from their homeland since I'm writing it in the context of moving to the states?

As always, any help is muchly appreciated.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought you emigrated from state to state and immigrated from nation to nation.

3. What about Emus and Imus?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

From M-W:

Immigrate: to enter and usually become established; especially : to come into a country of which one is not a native for permanent residencetransitive verb: to bring in or send as immigrants.

Emigrate: : to leave one's place of residence or country to live elsewhere <emigrated from Canada to the United States.

5. Emus:

[​IMG]

Imus:
    [​IMG]

Got it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's a good thing you labeled those. I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You know it's a slow day around here when Fenian starts putting stuff on a tee for himself to knock out of the park.

8. Hey, Luggie, sooner or later, it's good to go to the range and hit a bucket.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Days later, I am still trying to figure out which one looks worse... ??? ??? :-X

(I think it is a virtual tie)

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

At least the Emus looks amused.

Draft saved Draft deleted