1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please help: Baseball hats

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Some while back, there was a thread here about a certain model or line of baseball hats being discontinued.
    Can somebody please refresh my memory on the make/model of the hat or tell me the name of the thread?
    Thanks

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the 5950 is no longer wool -- but a synthetic material instead

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the uninitiated, that's the New Era 5950, the premium wool cap MLB has used for god knows how long. Apparently, they were going for something that didn't retain heat like the 5950. I didn't see the problem. Get a good sweat going in that baby and it felt pretty good. And if that didn't work, there was always the tactic of placing a cabbage leave in there ...

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thank you.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

Have a Yankees 5950 wool from a few years ago......had never seen any moisture except for the sweat of my head....if you remember what John Wetteleand's hats looked like.......not that bad, but similar.

My lovely bride decides to wash it......in the washing machine........and then dry it.

Oh shit.

She then decides to do the same thing with a Tiger Woods NIKE Dri-Fit.......

Double Oh Shit.

$60 worth of hats.....done.

"Fuck-fuckity-fuckfuckfuck"[cartman]

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

RIP Chef's hats. :'(

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

fixed.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:D

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I got a Braves hat last week. One of those Fanzz/Capzz/Azzholez hat shops in the mall with not-so-current gear. So it's wool.

I tried explaining to my fellow reporter why I wanted an older hat versus the new 59Fifty.

"Well, the bottom of the visor is black. And they've made it with some space-age hyper-fabric that takes the moisture away to Addis Abba. But I don't trust that fabric. It'll fuck with your head, you know. Start whispering for you to write foul things about the volleyball players in your copy. Best to just get wool."

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

fixed.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm still laughing... you wouldnt happen to have these hats around still, you know.. to take pics and post,
    Not that the mental picture isnt good enough, but...

Draft saved Draft deleted