1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please don't stare at the chimp: Antwerp Zoo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RokSki, May 2, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Antwerp Zoo tells visitors not to make eyes with chimps
    By Associated Press
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 - Updated: 09:35 AM EST

ANTWERP, Belgium - We all know not to feed the animals when visiting the zoo. Now the Antwerp Zoo has urged visitors to, please, stop staring at the chimps.
    New rules have been posted outside the chimpanzee enclosure at the city zoo urging visitors not to form a bond with a particular male chimp named ‘’Cheetah.”
    “We ask our daily visitors and other visitors that one of the monkeys is particularly open for human contact,” said a zoo spokeswoman. “He was raised by humans in a family and therefore we are trying to integrate him, to try to get more social integration with the group.”
    A sign posted on the glass enclosure asks onlookers not to stare at the apes. “Look away when an animal seeks to make contact with you, or take a step back,” it says.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you don't stare at it, will it still toss feces at you?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

These dudes have apparently been snorting too much diamond dust. If they're trying to assimilate Cheetah into chimp society and cut the figurative human umbilical cord, wouldn't it make sense to ... NOT HAVE HIM IN A PUBLIC AREA OF A ZOO WHERE HE IS GUARANTEED CONTACT WITH THOUSANDS OF HUMANS!!!!????

4. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

MR. PLESS: Ah, Mr. Kramer?
    KRAMER: Yes.
    MR. PLESS: Thanks for coming.
    KRAMER: So, uh, what did you want to see me about?
    MR. PLESS: Well, Mr. Kramer, to get right to it, we're having a bit of a problem with Barry.
    KRAMER: Barry?
    MR. PLESS: The chimpanzee.
    KRAMER: Oh. Well, uh, what's the problem?
    MR. PLESS: Well, he's not functioning the way he normally does. He seems depressed. He's lost his appetite. He's even curtailed his autoerotic activities. And we think this is directly related to the altercation he had with you the other day.
    KRAMER: So, so what do you want me to do?
    MR. PLESS: Well, frankly we'd like you to apologize.
    KRAMER: Yeah, well he started it.
    MR. PLESS: Mr. Kramer, he is an innocent primate.
    KRAMER: So am I. What about my feelings? Don't my feelings count for anything? Oh, only the poor monkey's important. Everything has to be done for the monkey!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'd like to think that, yes.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not backing down from no chimp. That chimp give me the stink eye and I'll be in his face.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

As it should be :)

Draft saved Draft deleted