1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please don't kill my 6-year-old son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Chuck Dickey

Chuck Dickey Member

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but thanks to BB Bobcat for posting that link. It's an excellent show and really helps to humanize the entire issue of food allergies (not just peanut allergies).

For the record, I have a daughter with multiple food allergies, including peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs. Unlike some others, I don't advocate a school-wide ban on peanuts. I've found that some view that as rather draconian and it tends to cause resentment rather than cooperation. Instead, taking measures - such as a "peanut-free tables" - helps to protect those with the food allergies while not mandating what type of lunch parents can pack for their kids.

It's challenging to deal with these allergies on a daily basis, but threads like these help open discussions about this topic and break down some of the myths. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and for your comments and questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted