1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please don't kill my 6-year-old son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We wanted to bring in cupcakes for my kid's birthday and we were given a three-page list of items we couldn't use.

I am thrilled that none of my kids have a food allergy, but I can't claim to understand it. I wonder if anyone here had even heard of these kinds of allergies 5-10 years ago.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The dad of one of my friends has had a peanut allergy his entire life. He's in his 70's.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

So far, nobody at my child's school has peanut allergies, though there is an allergy-free zone in the cafeteria. While I understand that peanut allergies are serious for those who have them, and I'd certainly obey any ban on peanuts, I do hope that my daughter's school doesn't have to enact a ban, as I'm the one who has to make the lunches in my house. Peanut butter sandwiches are so much easier to fix the night before in comparison to other sandwiches.

4. Mizzougrad96

I ate PB&J every day for six years in elementary school. Today, I don't think they let kids bring it to school.

We have close friends who have a kid with severe allergies (I think to shellfish) and they have to carry one of those epi-pens with them whereever they go.

I'm not saying they don't exist. I just can't seem to understand why these allergies are so prevalent today when they were virtually unheard of 20 years ago.

I know a lot of doctors who say some of these allergies that a kid might have as an infant go away after a couple years. These days there are so many foods that you're not supposed to let your kids go anywhere close to until they're 1-2 years old like peanuts or honey or stuff like that.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think somebody mentioned it above. The number of people being diagnosed with these allergies is rising, though nobody knows why. That is part of why some people need to be educated. They never heard of it when they were kids, so they assume it is bullshit.

BB, just don't try to tell us the soybutter crap is as good as the real thing and we're cool. :)

6. Mizzougrad96

I've heard some say that something at birth can impact the allergies. I don't understand this, but that's what I've heard and the friends we have with the kid with allergies had a very difficult delivery.

At the day care where my kids go they have signs up in every room. Jacob can't have milk, Aidan can't have peanuts, Trevor can't have citrus...

I feel bad.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, it tastes fine to me :) Maybe you haven't tried the right kind. This one is what I've had.

There is another PB substitute made of sunflower that is definitely not as good. The texture is all wrong. It's more like cake frosting.

The reason we gave it out at school is so kids could try it, and most of them told their parents it was good. It's the sort of thing that some adults might not even want to try, assuming that it's gross or their kids wouldn't like it.

As for making lunches, my son likes a sandwich that's even easier than PB&J. Take a piece of American cheese, put it between two slices of bread, done. He refuses to eat a lot of stuff that he's not allergic to.

8. Mizzougrad96

Has anyone ever tried the fake peanuts that they gave out on a few airlines for awhile. They were just dreadful.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We tried that stuff made from sunflower, too. Awful.

I'm amazed you found any kids that liked the soybutter. They kept it on hand for kids who forgot their lunches at my daugther's summer camp and without fail, any kid that did forget chose to eat nothing rather than the soybutter.

Still, not a big deal. Send something else. My daughter has adapted to only having PB&J over the weekend.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm taking PB&J to work tomorrow, and smearing some on the tables. Just as an act of rebellion.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear. I thought you were going soft on us:

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We're not allowed to send anything homemade for birthdays or class parties. If treats are store-bought, the teacher can check the ingredient list, which will indicate whether the item contains nut products, or even "This contains no nut products, but was made in a bakery where other items do contain nut products."

On the other hand, only certain classrooms are nut-free. If your kid isn't in one of those classes, you can send PBJ for lunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted