1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please don't kill my 6-year-old son

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 28, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Sorry for the alarming topic, but wanted to get as many eyeballs as possible on this post.

My son is one of 12 million Americans who has a food allergy. His is a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. Reason I'm doing this post is that we've been finding that a lot of people in this country still don't take food allergies seriously.

If I can open the eyes of even a few of you, before you go back to arguing about politics or the Cy Young award, then I have accomplished something.

I won't bore you with a bunch of statistics (you can see lots of info here, if you are interested), but I just want to tell you that this thing is real. There really is an increase in the number of people with food allergies (no one knows why) and it's just not some media-created hysteria. Peanut allergies are the most common food allergies.

I won't ask you to send any money or write a letter to your congressman.

Just do this for me: Take it seriously. If your child's school has a peanut-free policy, follow it. Don't be that parent that puts my kid's life in jeopardy because your kid is too picky to eat anything but PB&J. (Lots of good PB substitutes, btw.)

Thanks.

2. mb

mb Active Member

They did a presentation at the parents night at the mustardkid's school that touched on food allergies. As soon as they showed a couple of photos of kids that had come into contact with their allergens, they had the room convinced.

Scary, scary stuff.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Bill Haverchuck also has a peanut allergy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's a brutal cycle: Kids with food allergies must be protected, but the sterile environments are also very likely the cause of the soaring allergies.

I don't have any good solution, though.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Do these allergies develop over time? Or are they pretty much there since birth?

My daughter is 1, and eats PB&J just fine. Is she safe for life, or is there a chance she could develop an allergy later in life?

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think they are probably there at birth or soon after. Infants don't eat much, so it's hard to tell what they may be allergic to.

I think you're safe. However, while she's young you might want to start getting her some soynut butter once in a while, since she won't know the difference. In a few years she may find herself in a peanut-free school.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You PC pantywaists, my kid should be able to eat whatever he wants. Damn nations of victims.[/zagoshe]

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

There is no reason to send nuts to school if it's requested you don't. Ham and cheese works fine.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait a second, and I'm not being sarcastic here, and I'm not going on a zag rant.

There are actually ENTIRE SCHOOLS where kids can't eat certain foods? Like public schools? Or is this a private school thing?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Schools in my current town are peanut free.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of it an an entire school, but that wouldn't surprise me. These allergies are extremely serious.

That said, I think part of the problem is many parents just don't know any better. I thought it was ridiculous when I first heard about it, but my wife and I have learned since how severe the reactions can be.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I went to school with a girl who was allergic to peanuts and a whole list of other foods. A kid was eating a Reese's Cup while walking into class one day, and Amy started breaking out. Everyone in the school knew Amy was allergic, including this kid, a major douche who didn't like Amy for whatever reason.

Amy was, and still is, deathly allergic to peanuts. In a matter of seconds that day, she couldn't catch her breath and almost passed out. I had to carry her outside so she could get some air, and then walked her to the nurse's office before going back to class.

That was a scary day, and I'm glad I only had to deal with it once.

Draft saved Draft deleted