1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoff coming to college football? Matt Hayes says so.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But if there was a plus one game, you wouldn't have the No. 1 and No. 2 teams meeting in a bowl game.

2. Mizzougrad96

If you had a plus-one this year, you'd have Stanford and LSU playing in a bowl and Okie State and Bama meeting in the other with the winners meeting in the plus one.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

That drags it out a bit long for me.

I'd rather they front load it, with a couple of December weeks at home sites. Then break and play your usual bowls.

Your home teams will take care of fan interest in the early rounds then your championship game would still allow the bowl participant fan bases to plan travel. I'm assuming all involved would qualify for a NYD Bowl or better.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why this is so hard - get the top four teams in the BCS - put 1-4 in one bowl and 2-3 in the other and let them play in the plus one game.

You think that could happen?

It would change nothing about the bowl system - the only difference would be you'd have to make one more - like the Cotton Bowl - into a BCS game to keep the number of BCS teams the same.

But it would have been simple - Put Alabama-Stanford in the Rose Bowl and LSU-Oregon in the Cotton Bowl and let the winners play.

5. zagoshe

And one other thing - have the two semifinal bowls be played on Jan. 1st - so the championship is not any later than it is now.

6. BrianGriffin

Zag, you forgot Oklahoma State, which would have played Alabama in your scenario. LSU would have played Stanford and we'd be hearing the complaints about Oregon being left out.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like the Rose Bowl could get a rider that any matchup involving one of their natural teams is automatically played at the Rose Bowl. Not like Big Ten vs. Pac-12 is a sacred concept right now anyway. So this year that means Stanford would have played LSU in the Rose Bowl. Yeah yeah yeah, Stanford wasn't the Pac-12 champion, but that seems like less of a violation of history than having TCU or Texas in the thing.

8. zagoshe

Oh that's right, Ok State was No. 3 not Stanford.

And I'd be willing to bet that Oregon would magically have been ahead of Stanford if people were paying attention to the third and fourth spots the way they do the first and second.

9. Mizzougrad96

Well, Oregon beat one of those teams, but it lost twice, while three of those teams had one loss and the other had none... so tough shit to Oregon.

10. BrianGriffin

Didn't ORegon run Stanford off the field? Oregon's Pac-12 loss was to USC.

11. BrianGriffin

Oregon won the Pac-12 by virtue of beating Stanford and you might recall the complaints about Stanford's OOC schedule. I remember a discussion at one point fairly late in the season that the only team they had beaten with a winning record was Duke (of course, that changed).

You gonna punish Oregon for playing LSU and reward Stanford for playing nobody?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This probably was a year where the #5 team had a legit claim to the championship. Oregon would have given Alabama a better game than anyone else.

The panacea is not going to cure everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted