1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoff baseball vs. regular-season NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 26, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the thing. Some franchises can give out a contract like Hunter's knowing he won't be worth it by the end, but it helps them win in the short term. As great as the Twins' recent run has been, they lost at least one playoff berth due to money. No way that team misses the playoffs in 2008 if they keep even one out of Hunter and Santana. The Yankees, Mets or Red Sox would have been able to keep both.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Latest numbers I could find were for 2007 season:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Rank.html

And please don't try to make me feel sorry for the poor, poor Pohlads, among the richest owners in baseball.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I am confident it will be this thread that finally solves this debate. Really. I am.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

should have saved that for 5,000, lono [/crossthreading]

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Damn, that won't feel good.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Orlando Cabrera.

Jury still out whether he re-signs.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As far as the length of games is concerned, let's compare apples to apples.

I looked, but could not find, a Super Bowl box score, the NFL equivalent of a World Series game, with the "time of game" included. I'd be shocked if it was less than four hours; Super Bowls seem to last the entire afternoon.

As far as competitive balance goes, since 2000 (inclusive, not including 2009) six ddifferent franchises have won Super Bowls and 11 franchises overall have advanced to the SB. Eight different franchises have won World Series and 14 different franchises have advanced to the WS.

There's been more parity in baseball, it appears.

8. outofplace

Mauer is going to be interesting. He is a Minnesota guy and you would think the Twins will do everything possible to keep him. He will only be 28 years old when he is eligible for free agency after next season, but perhaps being a catcher with a history of injuries will keep the price reseaonable.

9. outofplace

Again, you are relying on putting words the mouths of those who oppose you beause you know you aren't winning on the facts.

That is one year, too small of a sample size, with numbers disputed by MLB. To me, the most important column is annual revenue. The Yankees are at $327 million for 2007, more than double that of the Twins.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Also, Yankees I believe own their own network so they may be operating at a "negative" while they pay bloated prices to their network, thereby propping up the network.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then I'm sure you'll be able to tell me why they have a .525 winning percentage against the National League as a whole over the last 12 years.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, I'd rather have football, where the Buffalo Bills can play the worst game ever in three successive weeks against teams from three different divisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted