1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoff baseball vs. regular-season NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, because god forbid the poor, poor Pohlad family should spend money on the team instead of pocketing the profits

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Profits alone wouldn't get them to the level of spending with the big markets. That's another one of the fallacies you rely on.

The big markets can carry massive payrolls and make money. The Twins would have to go deep into the red to keep up and there is no way they would ever match teams like the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox in revenue. Among other reasons, those regional broadcasting deals you were talking about just won't allow it.

How much profit do the Twins make a year? Would it even be enough to cover what Torii Hunter got from the Angels per season?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I am utterly tired of this argument, and was merely pointing out that anyone who thinks the AL Central is the shittiest division in baseball either hasn't watched baseball in the last decade or is, quite simply, not bright.

I could go on debunking the rest of that nonsense, but there's no point.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to assume you were a lot more vociferous about Santana last year, before his elbow started to go *snap*

NO team, regardless of market size, should give six years to a pitcher in his late 20s or beyond. That the Mets were stupid enough to do so fills my bitter heart with glee, as it should the hearts of Twins fans. If the Twins don't win the World Series in the next five years, it sure as hell ain't gonna be b/c they "had" to trade Santana.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

According to Forbes, the Twins in 2007 had an net operating income at the end of the year of $23.8 million.
    The Yankees, on the other hand were at (MINUS) 47 million and the Red Sox (MINUS) 19 mill.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

But they're A SMALL MARKET!!!!!

If you can't afford to compete, or won't, get the fuck out. I have absolutely zero sympathy for anyone who buys into a professional league and promptly starts bitching about the rules that have been in place for decades.

And baseball is probably never getting a cap (couching it b/c you never know who will take over for Selig and if he'll have the stomach for the one-year shutdown--AT LEAST--it would take to break the union and get a cap in place), so really, we're all just wasting keystrokes here. If you don't like it the way it is, you're probably screwed.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oooh.... let's add $24 million to the Twins roster.

Yep.... THAT's the difference-maker

8. outofplace

Link please. I'd love to see the breakdown that actually shows the Yankees losing money. Also, let's see it for more than one year. And let's see the actual numbers here. Are the Twins making money with a $50 million-ish payroll, while they would be losing money at $75 million while the Yankees can consistently spend for $150 million plus and come out ahead?

9. outofplace

Wasted keystrokes on SportsJournalists.com? Never!

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

OOP asked if there profit was enough to keep Torii Hunter. The answer is yes.

11. outofplace

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2416381&campaign=rsssrch&source=seattle+mariners

Still no link from spnited. But here is one with an MLB exec disputing the validity of Forbes' numbers.

And that is one year you quoted, spnited, not nearly enough of a sample size to show that they could have paid him the life of his Angels' contract.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blow it out your ass, fanboi!!! :)

Another important thing to consider re: the Twins...let's see how good that Hunter deal looks for the Angels in years four and five. And let's see how willing they are to find money in the couch cushions to re-sign Mauer (my guess is they will, and that Mauer is one player strong enough to tell cranberry and the rest of his union lackeys to go fuck themselves when they try twisting his arm to go to NY or Boston).

Draft saved Draft deleted