1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playoff baseball vs. regular-season NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Oct 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

We've had this discussion before so I thought I throw out the NY ratings for the two most popular NY franchises going head-to-head on TV Sunday night:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/Many_more_NYC_sports_fans_watch_Yanks_than_Giants.html

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I would hope Giants/Yankees fans would tune into a clinching game of the ALCS over an October NFL game. Unless you're a die-hard NFL fan, that is. Seems like an easy choice.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's progress for baseball. I mentioned before the time a Monday night game between two 0-4 teams outrated Game 5 of the ALDS a few years ago.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited is taking a minor victory where he can find it with this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Baseball also was higher in national ratings.

And I don't need victories, OOP. I have all of you NFL worshippers to laugh at.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure that would be the case nationally this time too. Haven't seen the numbers, but that's just standard now.

Is it just me or is this postseason even more unbearable than others? The amount of nine-inning (sometimes 8 1/2) that are flirting with the four-hour mark seems to have really gone up. Add in the weird days off that create an unfamiliar schedule, and whatever interest I have from an uninvolved market is just gone.

EDIT: spnited notes baseball won nationally too. Surprising to me. But again, the games are interminable to a fan without a huge rooting interest, and last night's was no exception.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The weird extra days off in the first two rounds have definitely been a pain in the butt.
    At least the World Series will go by the normal 2-3-2 sched with days off only after Games 2 and 5.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I didn't watch one second of NFL football yesterday (mainly because I was out doing other things, but I probably wouldn't have watched anyway).

Anyway, I'll watch baseball over football anytime.

But then they don't play football where I'm at (they just show up at the stadium every week) :D

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You mean those of us who can handle the fact that the game that maintains a level playing field for its teams is more popular than the one that allows some of its teams to have a built-in advantage over the others?

And it isn't even close, which is why you are trying to make a big deal out of the deciding game of an MLB playoff series between two large-market franchises drawing better ratings than an early regular-season NFL game between a large-market and a mid-sized market.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, those Tampa Bay Bucs sure are on a level playing field with the Patriots.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Or the Cleveland Browns. Or the Detroit Lions. Or the Kansas City Chiefs.

The list could go on.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The ongoing decline of the non-elite NFL franchises is starting to get noticed outside our infamous little cabal.

Draft saved Draft deleted