1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing with donkeys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

$20 buy-in cash game the other night.

Medium-sized stack of chips....

Get AA...raise....re-raise to my left....I go all-in, which was for about 3/4 of his chips.

He calls with 8-6 off...of course...flop comes out 8-5-8.

Last hand of the night for me.......Get KJ suited....raise the pot.....2 callers.

Flop comes 10-J-3 2 clubs........I go all-in......1 caller.

He flips over his 9-3 off suit (one club).....gets flushed.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You owe a buck.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about an ill-fated trip to Tijuana.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Finally, a bad-beat antidote.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno, Chef. I get 8-6 or 9-3 off and I'm throwing my chips in the pot.

That's how I roll.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I certainly didn't expect poker.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Threadjack. I haven't seen it mentioned around here, so apologies if this is not news, but I have been checking out this Web site: www.sharkscope.com. It is a database of online players and their results in sit-and-go tournaments. This is particularly useful to me since I play exclusively 6-man sit-and-gos at Full Tilt with some success. It is a good tool to give you an idea of who to be wary of and who to call every time. You get five free searches a day or you can pay a subscription fee for unlimited searches. It's amazing to see how much money some people have lost. Check me out: Fausto_Paraguay at Full Tilt.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Then you should change your user name to Eeyor.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want to save the donkeys of Marden. Their living conditions, according to The Economist, are deplorable. If I can swing it, I'm moving to Turkey and building appropriate barns for them.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

All you can do is smile. Don't let crazy stuff like that affect you.
    If you concentrate on making the correct decision, regardless of the outcome, in the end you will win. It's all one long game.
    Guys who call off all their chips with 8-6 off preflop. Occassionally, they win a hand. They remember the hands the win, forget the majority of times they lose, and their brains trick them into thinking this kind of hunch play is lucrative.
    Despite the bad beats, those are the guys you want at your table. We only call them donks when they suck out. Most of the time we call them fish.
    Same goes for the guy with the bottom pair and back-door low flush draw, although there's less information about his stack in relation to yours on that hand.
    Just focus on making correct decisions. Good players suffer more bad beats because they usually have the best hand when all the money goes in.
    Also, I just read something from Paul Wasicka recently and one of his lines stuck with me: 'Seeing people get paid off by bad play doesn't mean that you'll get rewarded by making the same wrong moves.'

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And here I thought you were George Plimpton heading to the Broncos training camp ...

Draft saved Draft deleted