1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing time at the local YMCA rec soccer league

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Apr 22, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You should throw a flaming Vespa on the field during the game.

They'll understand then.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I coached soccer in one of the rec-league teams in the local YMCA ONE time and that was enough. It was the 6 and 7 year old co-ed league. I had two problem parents -- both had kids who were superstars and were pissed because I ADHERED to the playing time rules and made sure every kid played the same amount of time regardless of the score, the situation. One game, I took the one kid out with about three minutes left and the other team scored three or four goals and the parent was pissed off and confronted me after the game and demanded to know why I took little Johnny out of the game at a critical point and said I owed an apology for losing the game.

Honestly, I just laughed in his face and tried to be polite in saying "you need to get a grip" His wife was so embarrassed and told him to back off and they were screaming at each other on the way out the door. I felt so bad for the kid, but it goes to show even at that level, that young age in a bullshit rec league at a YMCA how competitive some parents are and how some are so intent on living through their kids.

The problem you are talking about -- the playing time rule -- I'd say you just need to go try and talk to the coach about it -- perhaps at a time not right after or before a game when everyone is around and just voice your concern. If he is still a jack ass about it -- and it might just be an over sight, though I've grown cynical about it -- then I'd go to the director of the Rec sports or that particular league and voice the concern.

You are not being a problem parent because you signed your daughter up for a rec league which means she should get to play half the game like everyone else. If you read the objective of the league No. 1 is fun.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

zagoshe - Good advice. There's so much of this stuff today. :(

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Case closed.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

kingcreole ... just don't become one of the parents that complains to the paper that they always cut the names of the kids who play good defense, that only the kids who score or play goalie do.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good post man. The last sentence says it all.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They. Try. Hard. Too.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

When I was coaching, several years back, I made damn sure every child played at least 50% of the game. And of that time, I tried to get all kids into the position they liked.

You should definitely talk to the coach. Don't make it a big deal. But politely explain to him, after practice and away from other parents as to avoid making a scene, that you would like to see your daughter play at least half of the game. You really just want her to have fun and if she is sitting the bench for more than half of the game, it isn't very fun.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I find it amazing, and really can't understand, how in the world some of the parents have such a difficult time understand the concept of fun in these rec leagues. And what happens is that kids who are considered to be the weaker players get labeled as such at such a young age that many just quit and they never really had a chance to grow and develop.

There are AAU leagues and there are more competitive leagues for youngsters that, if a parent really needs to or wants to put their "superstar" child in a situation where winning and competition are the goals and I don't have a problem with that. My one son plays in a travel soccer league and it is good for him because he's good enough that he needs to be pushed.

But my younger son isn't that good and doesn't care that much, so he plays in the rec league and has a lot of fun with it. And that's how it should be. My younger son will play soccer for fun in the rec leagues for the next five or six years. But even at that level, there are the frustrated parents whose kids didn't make the travel team who think they should have so they want to try and turn the rec league into something real competitive. I feel sorry for those people to be honest.

There some areas once kids get to be in about fifth grade, you are either playing in a competitive enviroment (on a team you have to try out for) or you aren't playing and that is just wrong. Too many kids who might have developed into players are eliminated from the talent base.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

They just can't get past that concept that their kid is the 'next big thing,' no matter what. Even at the sub-AAU level, so many of them just can't get beyond this.

With our "American Idol" culture, every person is only a 'step away' from superstardom, people think. If only I push my kid enough, and lean on the coaches enough, etc.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kingcreole - are you the parent who had some small discipline issues with your daughter brought up here a year or so ago? She was choosing when her punishment would take place?

Not relevant at all to this thread, just trying to place a name with a face.

This situation sucks. Any way you can coach next season, so you can dole it out fairly?

Draft saved Draft deleted