1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing time at the local YMCA rec soccer league

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, I have a problem here. I've promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those parents who bitch about playing time, but I thought that would be a varsity thing, not in a third-grade YMCA recreational soccer league.

Princesscreole isn't the best player on her team. Or the second best. Or third best. Not even among half the best. But she's not awful. She works hard, never quits and you can tell she's always thinking on the field. Today, she had two games. YMCA rules state everyone has to play 50 percent of the game. She didn't in either game, not even close in the first game. And she wasn't the only one. At least one other girl didn't sniff 50 percent of playing time.

The first game today, our team lost 2-0. We have a good team with some good players. My daughter started, played about half the first half and made a last-minute appearance as an injury sub. Second half, she played about five minutes. Overall, she played about 15 minutes of a 40 minute game, if that. But since it was a competitive game, my wife and I agreed to let it go. Not a big deal, maybe the coach is just very competitive, I thought. It was only their second game of the season because of multiple rain outs. The first game, I didn't recall any problem, but they also won 5-0 and the other team rarely crossed midfield.

Well, the third game, our team won 7-1. My daughter again played about the first half and about five minutes in the second half. All the while, the best players rarely came out. They simply switched from forward/midfield to defense. I talked with my daughter about it, and she said, "I'm always coming out, and I never want to." And she also said, "Janey Smith never comes out, and it's because her dad is the (assistant) coach."

I guess I don't know what to do. I really don't want to be a problem parent. But this is frickin' YMCA rec soccer, not a club team or anything close to that. My wife said I should call the Y and see if I can make an anonymous complaint just to let them know there's a problem. I told her I didn't want to be anonymous, but I didn't want problems either.

I guess any advice you folks could give would be greatly appreciated.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Complain to your local sports editor. Tell him/her that your kids work hard too.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can talk with other parents whose kids aren't playing the required amount of time and then speak to the coach as a group.

And then run that sumbitch out of town on a rail.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I work at a Y. I know the type of stuff you're talking about here. *sigh*

Find out who's in charge of the rec leagues, and talk to them. Chances are they'll have a few words with the coach. If you don't think they're listening, remind them of the 50% playing time rule.

:)

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Not getting the minimum amount of playing time is definitely a problem, and you should (calmly, rationally) speak to the coach about it. In a league like that, someone from each team should have a clipboard and be tracking participation.

That said, the fact that you know scores from YMCA rec-league soccer games may be a sign that you're too into the game.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm a sports writer and sports nut. I don't know any better. ;) And considering my love for soccer, it's easy to for me to keep track. Now, the softball games? Thank God for the scoreboard.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow ... that comment is sad. It's YMCA soccer! I don't know if it's good or bad that my daughter is not alone. Probably bad.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This happens a lot. And I don't even work in that department, but I hear stories and see some of the stuff myself.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I would definitely talk to the coach, but make sure you keep it calm and friendly. If there are other parents who feel the same way you do, it would be good to talk to him as a group. Good luck. It seems absurd that a coach of such young kids would do this, but it happens everywhere.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Gotcha... I could see where it would be hard for you to turn your "sports brain" off. :)

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm not really mad at the coach. I mean, it's third-grade rec soccer. Just a little disappointed, especially considering he's coached the core group of this team (my daughter joined this season) for three years.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

BUT THIS IS 3RD GRADE YMCA SOCCER!
    GO PLAY INTRAMURALS, BROTHER..... [Coach Hawkins] :D

Draft saved Draft deleted