1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing softball at 8,750 feet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just got home from playing a 2-day coed softball tournament in Red River, New Mexico.

First of all, if you ever get the chance to go to Red River, it is absolutely gorgeous. Last weekend of August, temps never saw 80, and at night, it got to a very sleepable high 30's, low 40's.

Anyway, I've golfed in this area previously, but forgot how far the ball traveled.

Son of a bitch.

Our first game of the tournament; Team from Alberquerque hits 12 homeruns in one game. I've umpired, covered, played a lot of slow-pitch softball before....never seen 12 homers get hit in one game. Anyway, Chef's squad goes down 19-9.

We win 2 more yesterday to get to today;

280 foot fences; 50-60 feet of grass behind the fence; then a stream probably 40 feet wide, then thick marsh 20-30 feet deep, then some teepee type structures you can rent that extend some 30 feet beyond this stream to a street. Guy today hits a ball that flies everything and lands in the street, some 440 feet away.

Last thing I saw fly that far had a fucking stewardess on board [harrydoyle]

Anyway, this is more just a PSA for Red River than anything else. 12 of us rented a condo for 140 bucks a couple. Very enjoyable time. Looking forward to going back skiing.

If no one on here has been to Red River before, get there. If you have been there, get there again.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are two bars across the street from each other in RR. Bull O' The Woods is one of them. The other one is the bar that was the inspiration for the song "Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother". Can't remember the name of it though.

RR is a great little ski town in the winter. Mardi Gras weekend up there is a blast.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Is it the Motherlode?

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Great to hear Chef. I play in two leagues here in Breck, CO (9,600 feet) and it's just absurd to think at what elevation we're playing, not to mention living. Our fences are at 330', 350, and 320' usually.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Coming soon: Self-surgery at 8,750 feet.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

140 bucks a couple? You shacking up with your team's players now?

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He's got nothing on the Long Haul Bombers.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing about sucking air?

I remember everytime I was in Flagstaff doing anything athletic, the feeling of not being able to get enough air into my lungs.

Crazy freeking feeling.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Well, kinda.

All of us went in on a 6 bedroom, 4 bath condo up there.

Surprisingly, no.

Of course, I've been to Denver-CSprings so many times, I might be immune to it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is odd how the body adjusts, but that first day is always fun.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Chef could join the Mile High Club and have change left over.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep, that's it. Couldn't remember the name.

Draft saved Draft deleted