1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing golf thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Heading to the Dominican Republic in a few months.
    Thinking about taking - or shipping - my clubs. The sole reason I want to do this is: Pete Dye's Teeth of the Dog course.
    Has anyone played it? Is it worth the cost of shipping clubs to play?
    I also noticed there a ton of other courses - designed by Nicklaus and Fazio down there. Anyone played any of those?
    Thoughts?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you're a golfer, why wouldn't you? Is this a business trip or is it for pleasure?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Don't the best courses also have the best rental clubs? I remember being in Miami 20-plus years ago for work and playing at Golf Club of Miami. They had top-of-the-line Titleists for their rentals.

4. It's business trip for the wife. And it's only four days.
    With regard to rentals, I'm a lefty.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a fan of rentals. If I'm going to play a great course, I want my own sticks. Though of course the rentals are a good built-in excuse when you shoot 10 shots over your average.

There are multiple companies now that specialize in club shipping; overseas it may not be super-cheap but the courses should be used to handling those shipments.

Haven't played Teeth of the Dog but heard it's awesome.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I regularly ship my clubs when I go to visit my Mom in Florida. It's more expensive than checking them as baggage, but not by all that much, and the convenience is well worth the expense.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Have not been there, but the courses look awesome. At this time of the year I'd suspect the courses are getting peak prices. Enjoy, and try not to curse Pete too often.

8. Going in April. Its $165. Plus fees and shit. Plus, the cost of shipping my clubs... And the course is not at the resort where we are staying.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Figure out how many rounds you'll play. If the cost of shipping is greater than the rental, use the rental. Unless your clubs are custom fit, you won't be able to tell.
    I'd lean toward play. My biggest golf regret is not playing Kapalua. I was on my honeymoon, my wife said I could play but I took it as one of those things that I shouldn't do. Really wish I would have, even if it meant shooting a 120.

EDIT: I'm heading down to New Orleans at the end of the month - how are the courses there? I could definitely sneak away for 18 while my wife and in-laws go on some bayou tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted