1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Player's mother e-mails in pictures/What I wish I could do

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 15, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That was my first thought when reading the subject, too.

2. fremont

fremont Member

Hot moms are reason enough to cover Little League. Never tried to actually make some kind of move, but it was always great eye candy. Anyone covering that kind of stuff and complaining about how they're covering an event that nobody cares about is missing the point.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can't help believing Mr. X might have gotten our point.

If he didn't, well ... ::)

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That was my first thought.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's an assumption on your part.

I know weeklies that welcome photos from parents and actually ask them to shoot.

Better coverage, and that's what it's about.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How does this sound for a plan -- I will forward the picture to the publisher, who decides what runs in the paper, for consideration to be run in one of two, non-sports wild art places and send an e-mail to the player's mother letting her know I have forwarded the picture to the publisher for his consideration. (We do not have space to run photos on the pages the sports coverage appears.)

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Better plan -- create a system where you can put those type of pics in the paper. Newspapers all over the place are doing it, from big to small. Advocate that idea (or another that addresses the situation) to your publisher rather than passing the buck on to him.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I stopped reading the thread once I stumbled upon this ignorant, asinine comment.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

No, this is a good idea. I mean, that way you're free to run at least one more game story that you care about and don't have to subject yourself to what others in your readership think is important.

10. dieditor

dieditor Member

You don't have space to run photos with the sports coverage? Either your pages are ridiculously stacked with ads, or you aren't writing tight copy. Pages of copy with no photos on them can be pretty boring.

Also, at a small weekly, if said Mom is a "powerful attorney," and Small Community Weekly Sales Rep goes to try and hit her up for some advertising, it might be tough if you just ignore her.

It sucks, but especially at the small papers you have to remember how your salary gets paid...

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Mr. X, I applaud you for seeing the light on this and coming to a compromise. I've worked with two kinds of writers and editors -- the malcontents who look at something and try to figure out why it can't be done, or those who try to figure out how to do it. In my experience, the latter are the ones who move up.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Exactly why I like to cover those massive youth soccer tournaments in the summer. They're magnets for hot soccer moms in short shorts or mini skirts, and spaghetti-strap tanks that can barely hold their boobs.

Just don't forget the sunglasses ... you don't wanna get caught watching the paint dry.

Draft saved Draft deleted