1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

players and teams you were dead wrong about

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

After their second loss in two games in the 2001 season, the one to the Jets where Bledsoe got hurt, I WROTE that they were doomed and it was time to start watching college football with the draft in mind. Oops.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Steve Nash is a big one for me. I thought he was going to get eaten alive in the NBA.

I thought Kwame Brown was going to be great. After reading the piece Sally Jenkins wrote after his rookie season, I quickly discovered why he would not.

I thought Michael Beasley was going to be great. I thought Marvin Williams was going to be great.

Tommy Maddox and Todd Marinovich.

I thought Matt Leinart was going to be great after his junior season at USC, after his senior season, there were enough rumors about him being soft and not having the drive and desire to make it on the NFL.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Think I read the other day Kwame got $7 million from the Warriors. ::)

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Never thought Kobe would win anything without Shaq.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The 2004 Red Sox in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the ALCS.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Zack Duke looked like a stud in low A ball.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'll reserve judgment on Cam Newton. Right now, he has more picks than TDs, but he's throwing for a boatload of yards. If you watched him in college, you knew he could throw it, so that much is not a shock.

I'll echo the Kobe comment.

One that jumps to mind, for some reason, was when I thought Mark Macon would be the best pro out of Temple in the early 90s. McKie and Jones were better.

I was one of many who thought Les Miles was lucking his way to success a couple of years ago.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Kwame has made about $70 million.

I thought Mike Conley would be Acie Law V.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Guy who I thought was going to be a stud was Peter Warrick. He tore it up at FSU, won a national championship, then muddled around the NFL for five non-productive years before going to the Arena League.

EDIT: Just realized he was the No. 4 overall pick in 2000. Then again, it was the Bengals who drafted him.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bo Kimble. I was sure he would succeed as a pro because he could shoot and he could create shots. But the knee injury he suffered his junior year at LMU took away bit of his quickness and that's the difference between great college players and mediocre pros.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I really thought the 2010-11 Miami Heat would flame out early in the playoffs.

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Alex Rodriguez.

Thought he was clean. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted