1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLAY-offs?!?!?! (/jim_mora)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. GFav44

GFav44 Member

I think that Louisville deserves that 4th spot.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

The way LSU is playing now, it might be the best team in the SEC. Same could have been said about Auburn at the end of last season.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I see 24 teams and the complaints that "no one will be able to complain." Tell that to the NCAA Selection Committee.

Always will be a whiner out there.

Rarely does the crapshoot go beyond four teams. This year is one of those rare deals since USC pooped the bed yesterday. A plus-one, which would involve pushing back the championship game just a couple days so teams had time to recover after Jan. 1, would do the trick.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That's fine, but the whining in the NCAA Tournament is about which mediocre Big Ten team doesn't get the 14th seed, not who gets to play in the title game. Big difference.

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

16 teams - Four rounds, scale the regular season back to 10 (or maybe 11) games.

Automatic bids:
    Ohio State (Big Ten champ)
    Florida (SEC champ)
    Louisville (Big East champ)
    Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)
    Wake Forest (ACC champ)
    USC (Pac-10 champ)

At-large bids:
    Michigan, LSU, Auburn, Wisconsin, Boise State, Notre Dame, Arkansas, West Virginia, Rutgers, one more

BYU, California, Virginia Tech, Texas, Tennessee all could make a case for the last bid.

If every other level of college football can have a playoff, D-I can do it.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

College presidents love the bowl system too much. Just make the BCS title game that was added the plus-one and take the two best teams after the bowls. Yes, there will be complaining, there always is, but not as much as now.

Rose: USC vs. Ohio State
    Fiesta: Boise State vs. Oklahoma
    Sugar: Michigan vs. Florida
    Orange: Louisville vs. Wake Forest

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

they will never get rid of the bowls. these are massive corporate entities that won't just go away and won't stand by idly if the ncaa declared them to be worthless like the NIT did 30-40 years ago or whenever the NCAA tournament started.

all the bowls can be part of the playoff system and the bowls will love it. the lesser bowls will serve as first and second round game hosts. so for example, top-seeded ohio state would play its first game at something like the micron computers bowl, a second round game at whatever bowl and then the national championship at one of the current bowls.

the playoff system would also eliminate the travesty of 6-6 teams like miami being rewarded for anything.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, to hell with that nonsense. Ohio State should be home right through the semis as long as the Buckeyes keep winning. It's not fair to the fans to continually have them travelling hither and yon (not that anybody in the BCS cares about anybody as trivial as the fans).

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's true, but which is a better scenario: Gnashing teeth over who the 24th-best team in the country is, or gnashing teech over who the second-best team in the country is? BTW, 24 teams would require eight play-in games, wouldn't it? 16 or 32 would be better. I-AA does it with 16, and I can't imagine there being a necessity for any more than that. Eight, I think, would be ideal.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

n_w, I don't care if there is gnashing of teeth over No. 2 -- as long as there's no gnashing of teeth over No. 1.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're only as good as your record.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Semis
    No. 4 Boise State vs. No. 1 Ohio State
    No. 3 Florida vs. No. 2 Michigan

Draft saved Draft deleted