1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PLAY-offs?!?!?! (/jim_mora)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 3, 2006.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

(And this isn't a Vick thread, BTW....)

Suppose we had a four-team playoff for the national championship. Ohio State is in. Michigan is in. Florida is in.

But which team gets lucky spot No. 4?

--LSU? Nope, didn't make its conference championship game (but would have a good argument).

--Wisconsin? Nope, not with the BCS' two-school-per-conference limit.

--USC? Nope, not with two losses.

--What does that leave us with? Boise State?

Discuss....

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if lsu is disqualified for not making its conference championship game, why does michigan get in for finishing second in its conference that doesn't have a round-robin or a championship game?

so, i think we're left with ohio state, florida, boise state and WHO?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Twenty-four teams (that way nobody can complain they were unfairly left out). And no bowls. Play games at home sites except for the championship game, which can rotate among the old BCS sites.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wake Forest!!

Seriously though, I'd go with Louisville. Big East Champ, or Oklahoma, Big 12.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Louisville.

This is what makes me so flabbergasted about this joke that is minor league football... why is no one giving Louisville credit? One loss & won the conference just like Florida.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

LSU finished THIRD in the SEC West. Tigers deserve the Poulan Weedeater Bowl.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

24 teams? Why play a regular season?

8 teams will work: 6 BCS league champs, 2 at-large.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

WHAT! Brother, please...

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Arkansas
    Auburn
    LSU

Auburn beat LSU head to head.

3rd place in the West.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. Just keep it short and sweet.

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh, I'm not arguing with the standings, I'm just saying that LSU deserves more than the Weedeater Bowl. The consensus is they're the second-best team in the SEC, despite what the standings say.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not fair to the Boise States, Wisconsins and Arkansases of the world, given that one of the at-larges will almost always go to a none-too-deserving Notre Dame side just because it's Notre Dame. And the MAC can produce a team or two which could make a legitimate run to the quarterfinals every so often. The BCS leagues ain't all they're cracked up to be --- see also this year's ACC.

It needs to be bigger than the playoffs for the lower divisions. Besides, I can easily picture a scenario in which a "ninth-best" or lower team gets a nice December run going --- a team like Rutgers could fill that bill very nicely.

Draft saved Draft deleted