1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Play of the Brett Myers story . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I thought it was really odd that the Boston Globe played the Brett Meyers story in the lower right-hand corner of the City front (B1).

The Herald teased it fromt the cover to Page 2 (news).

The Globe story didn't really play up the fact he was pitching on Saturday.

I thought it should have gone high on the sports front (packaged with the gamer), and I expected a column as well.

I would have argued it for Page 1 of the paper, but that might just be me (admittedly, the incident happened at midnight Friday morning and we're talking Saturday papers.

Dan Shaughnessey did nail a terrific column about it on Sunday, but I thought that was a little late.

I am glad the Sox won the game, even though he got a no-decision.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: Play of the Brett Meyers story . . .

The Boston play of the story doesn't affect me as much as the nationwide play ... which is to say, a serious underplay around the nation.

If there was ever an issue worthy of columnizing, it's starting a pitcher two days after his arrest on charges of abuse. And the general manager excusing it in the name of winning ballgames.

Instead, we'll hang onto the use of the word "fag" for a second week.

P.S. It's Myers.

3. somewriter

somewriter Member

I think the story was drastically overplayed. A professional athlete being charged with domestic violence isn't exactly a new thing. The timing/circumstances might not be the norm for these sorts of things, but a player joining the police blotter is.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

How can it be overplayed when it was barely played at all??

You've got a No. 1 starter for an upper-division team allegedly involved in abuse to the extent that it leads to multiple 911 calls ... and it's just another day on the block?

The Fenway crowd that went apeshit on him seven times Saturday afternoon apparently disagreed.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There wasn't much to do with it design-wise.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Don't bait me here, DyePack. This is a little too serious for your pissing matches. Lay off it for one thread, please.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This was a serious story. I didn't know all the details 'til my paper picked up Shaughnessy's column and ran it today on page 2. I'm outraged. But I can see where it didn't get nationwide play-- it's just not unique anymore, as sad as that is. And this isn't T.O. or Moss, it's Brett freaking Myers. He got booed in Boston (good job Sox fans), but you and I both know he'd have been cheered in Philly if he was pitching shutout ball in the ninth.

Yes, MLB will fine Guillen for a slur, but in something like this the teams hide behind "we'll let the courts run their course" or whatever the bullshit line is. That's modern-day sports, baby.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hardly the best barometer.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I was listening to David Stein on Sporting News Radio late last night, and he was addressing this. And he actually had two callers in the first four defending Myers.

The first: "C'mon, you've got to cut him some slack ... he's a pro athlete. He's a celebrity." The guy was not kidding.

The second: "You know, some of these women are just in it for the money. Sometimes they get what's coming to them." This guy was not kidding, either.

It's stunning that people like this walk among us, but there you are.

10. Re: Play of the Brett Meyers story . . .

i strongly doubt this. we'll see what the reaction is when he pitches against the Padres next week in his first home start since this incident. I think he'll get buried

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Shot: Ya know what I hate more than making a typo?

Looking up the name, *then* spelling it wrong.

Where's my fricking copy desk?

Myers got pretty well battered on the talk shows today. So did the Phillies.

And yes, there was a guy saying, "You need to know the circumstances of why he hit her."

Give me a break.

I agree with the comment on play nationally. I think the fact that it was so public and that he pitched basically 36 hours after the arrest, was a big deal.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

I was just curious on how it was going to affect my fantasy team. Also ... it's Myers.

Draft saved Draft deleted