1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Play of Texas polygamy case . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have a lot of interest in the Texas government taking all the kids and women out of the Jeffs' compound in Eldorado, Texas. I read a lot about that group in Krakauer's "Under The Banner of Heaven," and I was afraid we might be looking at another Waco.

Here's my question: I am reading a lot of newspaper web sites, but other than places like Salt Lake City, Houston, etc., it's not that big on the screen.

The New York Times' story is two days old. (The post has a live one this morning). Most papers are using AP versions.

A couple of questions:

1. We are four news cycles into the story. Where has your paper and other local papers being playing it? (Heck, I have not seen USA Today in the last two days. I wonder what they're doing?)

2. Do you think we are seeing fewer out-of-town papers there because of cutbacks.

3. Anyone seen any commentary? I have not. Seems to be a tough one in some respects.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, except in Texas, maybe.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The DMN is giving it pretty good play right now.

But until the bullets start flying this will be ignored by most of the country.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

That's accurate. Unless we know for sure that young girls were used as concubines,or until guns go off, this story gets no play. No one has died eithe.

It sure has the oddity factor, but after that,I think a crazy polygamist and his flock just isn't salacious enough anymore. Dateline's To Catch a Predator has desensitized us.

5. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has had a reporter on the scene since the story broke and looks to have the most comprehensive coverage. (And no, I don't work for the S-T.)

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This bunch doesn't seem to be anywhere near as well-armed as the Branch Davidians were. So hopefully it won't come down to a shoot-'em-up. It helps that the ringleader (Jeffs) is already in jail.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This is also taking place in a really remote location. It's not like you can just fly a reporter or columnist in, rent them a car, have a Starbucks and Marriott on the corner and get them to file hourly.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Interesting that the Wash Post had Adam Kilgore, one of their UVA/VaTech sports beat writers, reporting from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted