1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Play magazine's article on Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 2, 2008.

1. I saw this on TBL...

It's long. Probably too long for a piece with no quotes from the man himself.
    I got two-thirds of the way through before I started to skim.
    I thought it was good - real good - for a story with no direct quotes. For a Tiger piece, I learned more about him (allergic to Azaleas and garlic and was tied up in grade school and and spray-painted with the word 'nigger') than anything I have read in the last 10 years.
    granted all that info was lumped together in one paragraph and gleaned from the sea of stories written about him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/sports/playmagazine/601tiger.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&ref=playmagazine&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Makes me wonder when and who will get the write the definitive Tiger Woods story - or bio.
    Doug Ferguson?
    Our man Dave Kindred?
    TW himself via an IMG ghostwriter?
    Steve Williams?
    And when? After he retires or is in the decline of his career? When he knocks off Jack's majors record?
    Or will Tiger remain a mystery?

2. How big of a mystery is he, really?

I mean, it's entirely possible that the guy is merely an absolute golf savant. Lives, breathes and eats the game. Practices maniacally. Obsessed with winning majors.

I wonder sometimes if, because we think he's guarded and boring, we're trying to project more under the surface than really exists.

Maybe there really isn't a "definitive" Tiger story to be written. Maybe he is what he is.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Go back and read what Pierce wrote many years ago. Someone find the link.
    There's more there.

4. I've read it. He tells dirty jokes. Great story, but less interesting, to me, than his dominance in his sport.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Sunday's story was average, though I didn't know Tiger was allergic to azaleas or garlic. I know of a writer named Chip Brown, but I don't think this was him. This one seemed more enamored just to be at the tournament.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'll preface with the usual, "I'm nobody," etc., but I was left wondering, "that's it? I read seven pages and that's it?"

I hope that's not too harsh. ...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tiger's got raging allergies. The only thing he and I have in common.

8. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

tiger seems so intent on being a non-controversial cipher that he may, in fact, have become one.
    in the end, you are what you do.

he may wake up one day, look in the mirror, and realize he lost his personality. it just dropped by the wayside. he was so busy being immortal he didn't even notice.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Is that the same Chip Brown that covers Texas for the DMN?

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Never mind. Answered my own question. Asked too soon.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I finally got around to reading Play today...the story on the juggler was the best piece in there, imo. Now that's something I knew nothing about.

Draft saved Draft deleted