1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plastic bottle caps for cancer? another urban myth?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Signs around are office are asking us to keep plastic pop bottle caps for cancer treatment.
    It sounds a lot like the aluminum beer tabs for dialysis Urban legend - though you can save the tabs and give them the Ronald McDonald house.

Anyway, i checked Snoopes.com and got nada. Anyone know if this is Bullshit or not?
    My hunch is it is, but this is the second person trying to collect caps for cancer.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ask where the bottle caps are going.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't know one way or the other, but what would be the motivation to keep them otherwise? What can you gain from the caps? Are these people like the underpants gnomes? "Step 1: Collect underpants. Step 3: Profit."

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

begs to differ:

[​IMG]

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A quick check of My Coke Rewards shows that it takes 4000 points for a digital picture frame, 6100 for a darts cabinet and 13,250 for a 19" HDTV. No listing for a chemo session.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We always collected those tabs in elementary school and middle school for the same reason. Maybe they recycle them for cash?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

1,350?
    Shit, i need to drink me a shitload more Coke...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's a five-digit number. At 1350 I would be putting myself into a high fructose coma, because then it would actually be within reach.

9. aluminum yes.
    Plastic?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Exectly, throw the can away but keep the tab. We want to recycle the tab for cash.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Next to the recycling can in our break room is an old plastic bottle half full of can tabs. I'm convinced the damn thing has been there 10 years and the cancer patient/book program/animal shelter it was intended to benefit has long since bit the bullet. Still, I throw my can tabs in because I'm determined to fill the bottle and see what happens.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Like a two-liter plastic bottle? A water cooler bottle? A carboy?

Draft saved Draft deleted