1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plastic Bag Tax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe it's higher, but I can tell you that the water in Texas is awful. And, at least where I lived, they encouraged folks not to drink it.

All the chemicals they had to put into it to make it safe to consume, also made it dangerous for some people with health problems.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If Publix, Walmart and every other plastic bag-using store wouldn't put only two items in a bag, we wouldn't use 192 of them when we buy groceries.

I ask them to "bag tightly" and they look at me like I'm crazy. "Throw all that in one bag" makes them look constipated.

Sack tight, recycle every Monday night.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

tap water's fine in my part of texas, angola. houston water, on the other hand, has always sucked.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I've been meaning to get a britta, but I haven't wanted to plunk down the money for one.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I re-use to plastic to clean out the cat's clumps. Real easy to just drop that off in the dumpster.

I agree with SixToe. I notice when I use the self-pay option at Kroger, I tend to use a lot fewer bags than when I go through the full-service line.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That has been our experience, as well.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mine, too. And I don't worry about them breaking, either.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

9. KG

KG Active Member

I just got one of the black bags from Wal-Mart. I have to say, I think it is the sturdiest bag yet. It will definitely be the bag I use for the heavier stuff at the grocery store from now on.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Backpack.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love the plastic bags. I have never purchased garbage bags, and I don't plan on doing it until some woman finds the recipe and makes me. Until then, I've got about 150 plastic bags sitting in my cupboard, just waiting to hold my trash. The only time I throw them away without getting a double use of out them -- in addition to bringing the food home -- is if they're ripped. Otherwise, there's no reason you can't reuse them.

Just like water bottles, napkins (with discretion, obviously) and paper.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But you're not supposed to throw them in the garbage. You're supposed to recycle them.

Draft saved Draft deleted