1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plastic Bag Tax

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Aug 22, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, in an effort to become more "environmentally friendly," it appears as though states across the country are implementing a "plastic bag tax" which will charge the customer an "X" amount for each plastic bag used at grocery stores.

http://reusablebags.typepad.com/newsroom/2007/05/should_we_pay_f.html

http://reusablebags.typepad.com/newsroom/2007/05/should_we_pay_f.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/weekinreview/01basics.html

A few links discussing the tax and some cities (i.e. San Francisco) actually banning the use of plastic bags altogether.

I only heard about this today and thought it was interesting. Thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Encouraging recycling is a much better idea. I really don't want to have to go back to paper and thus double the trips I have to make up two flights of steps with groceries. Or have to go to canvas handbags and octuple the trips I have to make.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Let plastic people pay the plastic tax. I pay the Homer tax.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We can fit more in one canvas sack than one plastic sack.

We used to need eight plastic bags or so for a big trip to the supermarket. Now we use four or five canvas bags.

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I have bought one of those grocery store re-usable bags for my groceries at the whopping price of 99 cents.

However, I constantly forget to take it with me in the morning before work and opt for the plastic bags on my daily trip to the store. At least I can take those back to be recycled, unlike the paper. (Which still make good small waste-baskets)

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can fit about double in the canvas bags I bought, plus the handles are long enough that I can sling them over my and thereforew wind up walking up the stairs fewer times when I remember them than when I forget and have to get plastic ones.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What stores provide such gargantuan permanent bags? The ones at the store I go to are not so big.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Albertsons and Kroger/Fred Meyers out here.

Target's are big too.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In my town they're coupling the plastic bag charge with a law banning the use of styrofoam takeout containers (medium-sized problem) and styrofoam trays for meat in the butcher's section (big problem). So now we'll all feel fuzzy and green, but die of e coli because of all the meat juice soaking through the packaging and going everywhere.

[​IMG]

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Trader Joe's. Best grocery store in the country.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think you can get some good ones from Land's End.

I have the same problem of always forgetting to use mine. Doh.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe something like this was in place in Great Britain when I was growing up, say they'd charge 2 cents for every plastic bag you used. I remember we would use a large, I'd say 24x24 inch canvas bag we would have rolled up in the end of the trolley that would get unveiled as things started getting packed into it.

I would normally be the one charged with lugging it in from the car.

Draft saved Draft deleted