1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 19, 2006.

1. yes, it's 1080.

So, I'm checking Circuit City's Web site, and installation runs something like $450. :eek:

I'm no rocket surgeon, but can it be that difficult to install yourself?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No it's not and I have 4 thumbs.
    That is ridiculous, even in Canada

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've recently done an absurd amount of research on this stuff prior to buying a TV. I highly recommend springing for a subscription to consumerreports.org if you're considering making any major purchase -- it's nice to have access to extremely thorough, unbiased research and opinions. They pointed me toward a great 50-inch plasma for about $1600 that I couldn't be more pleased with, and otherwise I'd probably have spent more for things I didn't understand.

The bottom line: Unless you have a glare issue or the set is going to viewed often from extreme side angles, buy a plasma. For cost-benefit, it's the way to go. And burn-in is not an issue, unless you do an absolutely extraordinary amount of gaming on a platform with a static screen. Whoever said watching something with a logo in the corner for a few hours causes permanent burn-in is an idiot.

Also, get a bigger screen than you think you need. Most people end up wishing they'd gone bigger, because they fail to factor in the aspect change. A 42-inch TV sounds great, but in 4-3 ratio, the picture is actually equivalent to something like a 31-inch traditional TV. Plus, many TV shows are in an aspect ratio wider than the 16:9 of your screen, so they end up looking a lot smaller.

Also also, keep in mind the additional costs. You'll need to spend about $100 on a bracket (potentially considerably more if you want telescoping) and additional costs to the cable company for HD programming (in my area it's about $7 a month difference). And some of the more popular sets are not even technically TVs, they're monitors, so they don't have internal tuners or speakers. It's not a big deal, but you have to make sure you have some kind of external speakers.

Anyway, if anyone's in the market and has more specific questions, feel free to PM.

4. Damnit, Arnold, just when I thought I was getting things figured out...

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You can actually get one much cheaper if you pick up a PS3 :D

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

"every few years" can be misleading. i've seen consumer reviews that say they burn out a lot quicker than that depending on amount of use. if i'm spending that kind of money, i damn sure don't want to be forking over $300 for bulbs every couple of years at best.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hadn't brought this up originally, but a few thoughts.

One, in general, just because somebody might be mistaken in saying something does not make them an idiot. I do so love name-calling.

Two, when I was researching for a big-screen, I did have a number of people tell me that burn-in IS a factor with plasma. Now, if you're saying it's not, and you have a plasma, that's another opinion to be factored in. Personally, I'd really like it to be a unanimous agreement if I'm going to shell out that kind of money.

Again, I think I've got a flawless picture with the WEGA. Burn-in is not a factor; extreme angles are not a factor.

Nothing on here could be more on-target. This is absolutely true.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just bought a 40" Samsung LCD. Perfect size for the basement. Paid about $1400 (Canuck bucks) for it. Got eight months of HD cable too. Can't believe I waited this long to get one.

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

FOF,

My Father in law has the Vizio 37". He loves it. I have a Mitsubishi 62" DLP. I love it.

So I suppose as always, it's a YMMV world.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I also have the 37" Vizio and love it. I also have a 50" Samsung DLP. Both are great, especially with all the DirecTV HD channels & the HD-DVD drive with my Xbox.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have the 37 inch and cant say enough good things about it... with I could afford a larger one...

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

OK, how about that it was an idiotic, uninformed statement? I grant you, the person who said it may well be the salt of the earth.

Burn-in used to be a factor with plasma, but that was a long time ago and the technology has caught up to the problem. As I understand it, the only way you'd have to worry about burn-in now is if you were obsessed with a video game for years that had some sort of static element, or if you use the unit to connect to your computer a ton, where you'd have a potential problem with like the control bar at the top of your browser. But for most people, it's not an issue anymore.

The Vizio sets are getting good early marks and have obviously been able to hit a great price point. The only downside is not much long-term track record, but I'd be comfortable buying one.

Draft saved Draft deleted