1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

ooohkay then.

Plasma and LCD both have their plusses and minuses. Although I have to say in general that plasmas tend to be slower than most LCDs in terms of motion (which is in opposition to what was written above). Plasma has better viewing angles and tends to have better color depth.

If you plan to watch sports and action movies, you'd be better off with an LCD, in my opinion. I plan to ditch the 55-inch CRT RPTV in my bedroom and replace it next year with an LCD panel.

And yes, DLP is great...but not for everyone. Some people see fringing, a momentary rainbow effect when they move their eyes...about 5 percent of the population. I see it, but still love my 62-inch Mits DLP. You might also consider a front projector...you can a much bigger picture now, even in a moderately lit room, and it takes up much less space and costs less. Plus, it's a blast to play games on. I have one lighting up a 72-inch 4x3 screen in my home office. It's quite cool.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Did I see you on "Cribs?"

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I own a WEGA now (actually, two). Heavy sumbitches. Great picture, but not HD ready and big and bulky. When I eventually upgrade, it will be to a flat-panel.

BTW, anybody seen the new blu-ray DVDs yet? The picture is unbelievable. I think they're running about $999 right now, but when they come down, I'll be picking one up (I'm assuming that with the head start it's getting, blu-ray is going to beat out the other new DVD platform -- can't remember the name -- that it's supposed to have a VHS/BetaMax-style war with).

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Hmmmm ... I'm watching the LLWS in HD right now.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

damn this sure is complicated. i might be an old man (though i'm only 33) but i long for the old days when buying a TV was simpler.

this is probably an overly simplistic thought here but one thing i noticed with my brother's 32 inch TV (not sure if it's plasma, LCD, WEGA or what) is that you basically need a bigger TV than you needed with the old kind of TVs. in other the picture on his 32 incher is smaller than on my 32-inch massive old style TV, so i'd want a minimum 37-inches once i enter the flat screen realm.

6. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

A friend of mine gots the LCD flat screen tv and says the graphics are out of this world.

7. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

No, but you did see me in Home Theater magazine.

8. LSD is better.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's about 15" deep, I think. Mine's in a built-in cabinet. Also, not very heavy--about 70 pounds, I think.

Very good side-viewing on this, which is the reason we bought it. My wife wanted to be sure she could see it from the kitchen, which is in the next room.

Jack was right about the bulbs, but here's something to keep in mind: DO NOT buy any kind of big screen without buying a service plan. If you can't afford the extra money for the service plan, you can't afford the TV.

Service plans are usually a ripoff, but not in this case.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No I didn't.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

LCD vs. Plasma from today's Toronto Star....

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156024212895&call_pageid=968350072197&col=969048863851

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Very informative... Thank you, Huggy!

Yes -- it was as I said -- sorry, Trust -- it's LCD that has trouble with motion. The plasma picture is truly spectacular. But it's good to see the LCD problem's being corrected.

I had NO IDEA the plasma used up so much energy. Ever since we got the LCD, we're watching the plasma less (really only for sports), and we noticed our July electric bill was way down from July of last year... no wonder! I'm really going to have to keep that in mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted