1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

plasma TV burn-in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Nov 14, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, folks..got a 50" Panasonic for an unreal deal from Sears in June...starting to notice that, even though we keep our 4:3 viewing to a minimum (some locals here do the black bars for news), when the screen is very bright, I can tell that that area where the black bars are is a little brighter - now here is the kicker - it's only on the right side of the screen, not left. Anyone else ever have this happen?
  2. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Hmmmm. On my LG plasma, there is a whitewash function on the TV that fixes burn-in. I've never had a problem. You bought this in June? Take it back, it's gotta be under warranty.
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Another reason my brother-in-law -- high level techie at ABC -- says don't go anywhere near plasma, get LCD.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Plasma still has serious burn-in issues, not to mention some still have problem dissipating heat well. Usually, the costs are enough to make many run for alternatives.

Markvid, call the brand's 800 number and see if there's either a whitewash function and/or a warranty to protect you for a while longer.
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plus, plasmas will cost you big in electric bills.

Do you wonder why you got such a deal on the TV?
  6. T2

T2 Member

If the problem only shows up on the right side, that suggests that there may have been a manufacturing defect on that part of the screen, doesn't it?
  7. markvid

markvid Guest

That's what I'm wondering, T2, but I'd not noticed it until now. Odd.
    I will be calling Sears when I get home on Monday.
    Also, to those of you asking about why plasma? Honestly, I think the natural-looking picture blows LCD away. This particular model from Panasonic gets rave reviews.
  8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What, the electric company is in cahoots with the makers of plasmas to steal your money long-term, one kilowatt at a time? Come on.

Both technologies have pros and cons and situations in which they are recommended. As with ... well, almost everything ... the radicals on both sides are misguided.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

It's not a myth.

"LCD TVs have an edge in terms of power consumption. LCD TVs generally can save up to 30 percent power usage compared to Plasma TVs." http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/18/making-the-right-choice-lcd-tv-or-plasma-tv/

"Replacing an old TV with a plasma set would add $40 per year to the average annual household electric bill, while an LCD set's yearly energy premium would be $15 to $20." http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/2007/12/06/your-new-plasma-tv-may-be-an-energy-hog.html

"Consider that a 42-inch plasma set can consume more electricity than a full-size refrigerator -- even when that TV is used only a few hours a day. ... In general, liquid crystal display, or LCD, screens use less power than plasma sets of comparable size." http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/public/article/SB119751487989925779.html
  10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Not saying plasmas don't cost more to operate, just taking issue with the assertion that that is why plasmas are "such a deal" -- not everything is a conspiracy.
  11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Oh really? Then explain why I got such a good deal on this aluminum-foil hat.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I mentioned it may have been a deal because of the image problem noted higher in the thread.
Draft saved Draft deleted