1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plasma TV burn-in: Help!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nattering nabob, Feb 15, 2008.

1. I recently purchased a 42-inch, high-def plasma television, made by Hewlett Packard. It’s the love of my life, but now an issue has arisen for which I desperately need advice from the SJ techno wizards. Myself, I’m a techno moron.

A couple of days ago, my kids were playing Guitar Hero III on the Wii that’s linked to the TV. When they were done, they neglected to turn off the Wii, leaving it on for several hours. So now, whenever I watch television, I can see a vague but unmistakable image of the Guitar Hero logo on the screen, no matter what channel I’m on. Some channels are worse than others, but it’s always there. It pisses me off to think that my expensive, nearly new TV is now marred in this way.

A few questions: Is this permanent? Is there anything I can do to get the logo off? I’ve done a little internet research, and there seems to be a difference of opinion on the permanence of “Plasma Burn-in.” Has anyone successfully conquered this problem?

Thanks in advance from an annoyed sportswriter.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch. Got nothing but sympathy for you.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Damn, I didn't think burn-in was possible in just a few hours with modern plasmas. My condolences.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Your kids were playing with the Wie?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They guy comes to you in his time of need and this is what he gets?

No wonder people go postal with pistols.

natt, maybe if you just watch music videos, the added guitar image won't be so distracting.

7. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Some plasma TVs have a "white wash" feature which will help to counteract burn in. If yours doesn't, find something that will give you a blank white screen and leave it on the screen for awhile. It is the only thing that can help, and even that wont solve the issue completely. (Courtesy of AskYahoo.com)

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, is this a vote for LCD?

Although, I've heard plasma is much better for sports.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Maybe it works like an Etch-a-scetch.

10. This is why I went LCD over plasma

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Coke is now all over my LCD monitor.

12. Other than the infamous "white-wash" approach, there really isn't much you can do about it. Hopefully your warranty covers this sort of thing within the first year or so. The fear of the burn in is why I purchased LCD over plasma.

Draft saved Draft deleted