1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke tries so hard to avoid lauding Brady, he rambles on strangely . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The Brady/ARod comparison was asinine.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He looks like a piece of shit in a swimming pool?

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

IMO, a fine read. He uses evidence (3-4 categories) to spell out why he says Unitas ranks ahead of him, rather than typical "rambling" statements so many columnists DO resort to.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ugh - what a horrible read.
    He doesn't have fire in his eyes because today's teams don't need it.

Oy vey.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Brady does have that Yul Brynner in Westworld look in his lamps.

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Re: Plaschke tries so hard to avoid lauding Brady, he rambles on strangely . . .

There's truth to what Plaschke says. Remember the Colts' whining a few years ago about receivers getting jammed and manhandled in the playoff loss to the Patriots? What happened the very next year when the NFL caved and changed the rules to make it harder to defend receivers? Manning shatters the TD record.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Brady is an extraordinary quarterback. As good as any today or ever. Who knows how exactly you measure greatness in quarterbacks - wins, stats, health, whatever - but, clearly, Brady has performed as well as anyone in any category, including the intangible "leader" category.

That said, this particular season for the Patriots was about Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney, Watson and Faulk. Those six guys are probably the most complimentary, talented ensemble of receivers ever assembled on one pro team.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Really? Then why was everyone saying Moss was done and no one knew much of anything about the other five guys you named, other than maybe Stallworth before this season? Faulk's been in the league something like nine years, and he's probably gotten more national attention in the last week than he got in those first nine seasons.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not telling you the media agreed with me. I'm telling you that was my take. It's the greatest ensemble I've ever seen. Give me a better one. Maybe 88 Niners, some of the old Gillman Charger units, I don't know. This is the best I've seen.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'd put the Colts of a few years ago -- Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Stokely, Edge, Pollard -- in the discussion.

My point is that, while obviously the relationship is symbiotic, I think Brady had a greater impact on these guys than the other way around. Just look at what has happened to all of the receivers that have left NE during Brady's time. I can't think of one who has had a better season elsewhere, and most have seen their production drop considerably.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Boobie,

In 2007/08 Brady...

threw 22 more touchdowns
    for 700 more yards
    had a completion % 5 points higher
    had a quarterback rating 25 points higher

than any of his previous career highs. that's off the charts.

So you tell me.

12. Simon_Cowbell

I THOUGHT it was rather inarguable.

Draft saved Draft deleted