1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke on Tim Crews' family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Exactly.

Anyone who think McCourt really gives a shit has some product I would like to buy a little bit of.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Plaschke writes that Laurie Crews didn't even know who the owner of the Dodgers.
    He explains the indifference from a past official. That has nothing to do with the McCourts.
    You guys are looking way too far into this one.
    This isn't "Red Wheelbarrow."

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I recall that Plaschke is involved with the Big Brothers organization (yes, he did a story on it that, IIRC was on A1 of the Times a few years ago). It likely could be that this was a subject he could relate to in terms of a young boy growing up without a father. It sure seemed like he connected with Tim Crews' baseball-playing son.

It was a good piece overall, but yeah, I think the drunk-boat driving part is a little downplayed. Also, Fred Claire's comments are good, but then again, he's never been a fan of the ownership that fired him.

4. fishwrapper

From his bio:

Plaschke was recently named Man of the Year by the Los Angeles chapter of Big Brothers/Big Sisters for his longtime involvement as a Big Brother. He has also received a "Pursuit of Justice'' award from the California's Women's Law Center for his coverage of women's sports. In 2002, Plaschke was selected to carry the Olympic Torch for a couple of blocks through downtown Los Angeles as it worked its way to Salt Lake City for the Winter Olympics.

5. fishwrapper

Claws for Concern reminded my of that column. It was another fabulous piece:
    Here is the only version I could find online:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_19991128/ai_n10558964/print

6. Fantastic.

Many, many baseball players died as a result of their vices ... most not in the immediate instance like Crews did, but died from the same result (i.e. Mickey Mantle) and their legacies are remembered far greater. I'm not comparing Crews to Mantle, but just kind of the same concept.

Plaschke in print is outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted