1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke on Tim Crews' family

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

OG, I agree. I never much cared for Plaschke in his ESPN appearances. Then, I started reading his stuff. This one left me blown away. Really amazing.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Very well done, not just the execution of it but the idea of it. I thought the first-person was sparse and fine and done in good taste.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's the problem of this era of multi-media. The people who shout the loudest tend to get the most attention. Some people can write <b>and</b> do TV effectively, but some can't. So an exceptional writer's credibility can be affected because he isn't good on TV.

4. Very well done. Great read.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

As usual a very well-done Plaschke piece.

However.... we seem to gloss over the fact that this tragedy was caused by the fact that Tim Crews was drunk and operating a boat.
    Why does MLB or the Dodgers owe to someone who killed himself and a teammate and nearly killed another becuase he was drunk and irresponsible?
    Had he been in a car and wrapped himself around a pole, you'd all be calling him an asshole for driving drunk. This is no different.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. But the guy was operating a boat with a blood-alcohol level of .14...legally drunk. He is not a hero.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Did anyone call him a hero?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wouldn't you think that, after watching Crews spend his life helping teammates escape from trouble, somebody would now be willing to rescue his memory?

Rescue his memory? The memory of a drunk boating accident that killed two people?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think that's the memory, freak. I think they're talking about how basically he's become a ghost in baseball circles.The memory of his career, not his death.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

wow. great story. i have zero problem with him providing a few phone numbers. just putting this piece in the paper will open a few eyes.

i have to admit, my first reaction was like spnited's. i'm thinking 'i know it's harsh and i know the family suffered a horrific tragedy but why are you whining about wanting attention from the dodgers.' but the story convinced me that they weren't whining. i suspect that plaschke tracked them down rather than the other way around.

in reality i think this kind of story is more about the handful of guys who considered crews a close friend than it is about the dodgers. there are maybe 4-5 people in the world who i'm close enough friends with that if they died and my friends' kids lost their dad, i'd keep in touch with the family. that's called being a true friend and a good person.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

There are a lot of former players -- living and dead -- who have become ghosts in baseball circles.
    What makes Tim Crews, drunk driver, more deserving of being honored/remembered than so many others?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Idiot. The memory of his baseball career, for the sake of his son who is about to embark on possibly a baseball career on his own. I don't condone drunk driving/boating either, but the man left behind a family and if they want to go down memory lane and relive what made him a good teammate and pitcher, they should be able to at least get their phone calls returned.

I liked Plaschke's story and I have no problem with him opening his reporter's phone list to try to help a family that has opened up to him.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Who says he's MORE deserving? Jesus, we get these stories every year. "So and so's wife isn't remembered. Her kids and grandkids don't have any connection. (insert sports league here) doesn't reach out."

This is nothing new. It was just written well.

Goddammit, spnited, change your diapers before you log on here next time. You're being awfully shitty.

Draft saved Draft deleted