1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke nails the spirit of Thanksgiving without even trying . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 22, 2007.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

Even on a message board, I'd think, anyone ripping on subject-verb agreement should take a second to check his punctuation before posting.

2. BBJones

BBJones Guest

I wasn't asking a question. I was making a statement.

But since you say so, I'd think you're right.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lee, nobody tells you that you can't order a knuckle sandwich every damned time you go to the cafe. you might order it sometimes on sourdough, sometimes on rye, sometimes on white. but by god, nobody tells you not to eat your favorite, a knuckle sandwich, when you go to the cafe.

why should people not be able to read a feel-good story every now and again?

5. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Here's another Radio example, done by terry pluto:
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2002/writing/100-250/100-250.features.second.html

It got thousands of reader responses. Although some of us might think they're cliche (and sometimes they are) readers by and large like these kind of stories.

Also, if someone in one of these positions feels like they are being exploited, then that's understandable. But a lot of families feel like it is a cool way for their children to get recognition in a way that others with their problems never, ever will.

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

You read Terry Pluto's columns and you wonder how he gets away with it. And how you don't throw up.
    You're sure you've seen such garbage somewhere, but you're not sure where. Then you remember the big pile of vomit you spewed because you really did throw up.
    Your name is Terry Pluto Reader. And you can't believe he gets away with it.

7. jaredk

jaredk Member

The thing to do, BB, is use the Plutonium excreta as a what-not-to-do guide. Don't be all mawkish and manipulative. Be a grown-up writer writing for grown ups. That's harder to do and proportionately more satisfying.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Noticed that CNN picked up the USC Radio story.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sports/2007/12/02/finnstrom.usc.number.one.fan.cnn

Draft saved Draft deleted