1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke nails the spirit of Thanksgiving without even trying . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, but this one was read by far more people than most of 'em are.
    This story can be done by regional papers, national, international
    To get stories like this, it helps to have access.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jgmacg - isn't that much like asking: "set aside both team's great records and inarguable talent, and isn't the super bowl just another game?"

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I guess, T_P, what I was poking around for was more along the lines of trying to separate the story - just for a moment, so we can really see it - from the storytelling.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think that story is much like running "yes there is a santa, (whateverthehellhernamewas)" year after year ... for my money that is.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Many times it just isn't possible. You just suffocate in the taffy.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think buck already did as much, quite indepth in fact, on the last page. i guess that's what you get for coming into the end of a conversation thinking you know what people are "talking" about.

7. Herbert Anchovy

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and responses like that are why i think you're one of the top posters on this board.

it's a reply i will steal and call my own one day. ;)

9. Herbert Anchovy

It was resignation, Tom.

I'm probably wrong about the column. I just feel the genre has been maximized and plundered.

I remember being assigned a story years ago on a mentally retarded girl who served in the same capacity as a Radio. Was very uncomfortable with it, and I know her mother had some questions about exploitativeness, too. "Please don't make her appear deficient," she said. They didn't want photos taken.

I don't get the feeling these individuals or their families particularly want mushy columns written about them, no matter how good or warm the intentions are. Just my opinion.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Man, Plaschke's a heavyweight. Yes, he slobbers all over Pete Carroll sometimes, but dang this was a GREAT read.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lee - what is your favorite sandwich?

12. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Did anyone else notice this:

... within the first few paragraphs of the story? How does something like that happen in the LA Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted