1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke nails the spirit of Thanksgiving without even trying . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw buck, i just wanted to make sure he wasn't BP before i ripped him a new asshole for not noticing the connection.

BP had to see the connection to thanksgiving, didn't he?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Of course he did. The fact that it ran on Thanksgiving -- without explicitly making the connection -- made it work even better than if it had run on a random AP-mandatory day or something.

Great subject, great story, great day to run it on. Trifecta.

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

great story. thanks for posting

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Based on the responses here, an honest question for a weekend craft discussion: what makes this a good piece?

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

Interesting, the Plaschke column and the Reilly column on another thread, both dealing with the dispossessed looking in on the haves....but Plaschke's works and Reilly's doesn't, mostly because Plaschke develops a real SC-Ricky human connection -- yeah, he's dealing in warm-and-fuzzy but he never falls into Albom treacle -- whereas Reilly's glances off the icy surface at Ohio State.

I wish I had a better sense of Plaschke's reporting. I wanted him on the bus with Ricky one morning and in the East LA house with the mother. Maybe he did that; there are good details. But he didn't show us he did it; this one called for more than a phone interview.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a great image. I felt like I was right there. That's part of it for me, jgmacg.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For me, jgmacg, Plaschke told the story without delving into cheap parlor tricks, which Reilly does all the fucking time. Plaschke let the story flow and didn't put people into roles, whereas Reilly sort of painted OSU and its athletic department as part of the reason that Columbus' less fortunate are strugging.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Speaking of great images ... Tomas' newest Stevie avatar is making my monkey verrrrrry nervous.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I will bet a lot of money he was on that bus and everywhere else except for at the Oregon game (Bill was at the World Series). Bill Plaschke does not phone in stuff and I would be stunned beyond belief. I've been reading/following him since he was the Dodgers beat writer. He gets out. He talks with people. He reports.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's funny is, when i changed my 'tar from the turkey mug, i wondered what i should switch to. i honestly (roughly interpreted) thought: "bat will enjoy pulling another stevie from the vault. i may as well make him happy."

always thinking about your happiness, my friend, always. :D

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Solid effort and yeah, it is great to see a story that doesn't scream out this is a Thanksgiving story.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It may just be me getting old, but does anyone else feel like they've read this piece - done many times, in many ways - before?

Draft saved Draft deleted