1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke nails the spirit of Thanksgiving without even trying . . . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Well, he tried a little, but these tear-jerkers are what the man does best. Are there a couple of sentences that are a little overdone? Sure. But it's a very good read.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke22nov22,1,3266641,full.column?coll=la-headlines-sports

This story, without ever using the word "Thanksgiving" or making sure everyone knew "We published this on THANKSGIVING!!!" conveys the sentiment of thankfulness for what we have, at least for me. It's not a subtle piece at all as far as being a tear jerker, but I really liked that it made the point without beating the reader over the head re: the holiday.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That was a good read. Thanks for posting the link.

3. GBNF

GBNF Active Member

Plaschke is one of my two favorites (Posnanski), but this one just didn't do it for me. I t was a bit choppy, and the sentence structure kind of jilted me. A good column, of course, but he really knocked it out with the story of the Dodgers fan who wrote a blog despite a disability, and the story about hos little brother from the Big Brother/Little Brother program.

A good effort, but I felt a bit off for some reason.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I like this a lot better than those ham-handed "this is the spirit" of Thanksgiving columns I see too often.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Excellent read.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

A super read confirming why Bill Plaschke is a worthwhile read. And yet another reason I hope Pete Carroll stays put in college football. The man and the school are a perfect fit.

Thanks for the link, Piotr.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Practically a Thanksgiving tradition for Plaschke to write these stories. As usual, he nails it.

Here's the column about Sarah Morris, Her Blue Haven.

http://www.anonymomma.com/sarah.htm

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After reading The Master's latest, I have a very real reason to root for USC and Pete Carroll.

9. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Very good story. Thanks for the link.

Carroll seems like a cool dude. I don't imagine why he'd leave SC. He has it made there, and they're in the running every year.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i still hate SC, but that was a great piece.

if you're here, bill, you outdid yourself.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This had nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

It's just a damn good story, regardless of what time of year it is.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it is a damn well written story or the subject is a good story?

Draft saved Draft deleted