1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plaschke is latest to rail against NFL Overtime rule

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 27, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Double - putting it on the 40 in college might be the better way to go because it's not in field goal range. You're right on the money.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If both teams score on their one possession then the team that won the coin toss gets two possessions and that's not fair.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Yes, being the home team is an advantage

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know why the sudden call for revamping the OT. Must be college football's success with giving each team a shot.
    That said - football is offense and defense. The OT rules wouldn't be so ridiculous if the NFL rules weren't so favorable to the offense. Though I'd also hate it seeing a team "play for OT."

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think that's the National Federation rules. If you've seen some high school games, and some high school kickers, you understand why it's a good rule.
    And on Friday nights, it means no extra first downs to drag the thing out an already-long game even further. From my point of view, it's a GREAT system.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Any team that plays for OT has no right to bitch. Unless you get the ball inside your own 20 with something like 10 seconds left, try to move the ball down the field. You get it at your own 30 with 45 seconds left and run out the clock, then lose without getting it in OT? Tough titty. You had your shot.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

How long is this really, since all of SJ knows you're 150 years old?

EDIT: Damn it, JC!

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got no problem with it, and I'd be disappointed if it was changed.

Agree with whoever said TV plays a factor.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't remember these columns growing up. Now they come out the ass every time there's an overtime game.

It's silly.

10. mb

mb Active Member

For all the talk about the fairness of the college system, there's still one HUGE flaw: The team that wins the toss still has a SIGNIFICANT advantage.

Whoever gets the ball first is playing as if it were a normal game. Traditional three downs and then decision time on fourth. The team starting on defense, though, gets to play an entirely different game. If they only need 3, they can settle for a field goal. If they know they need 7, though, they can go for it on fourth down in spots they wouldn't if they had the ball first.

It's splitting hairs, I realize. But it's still a pretty big deal to know exactly what you need to do when you get the ball.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Read something earlier this season that it is wisest to defer the opening toss because there's a greater probability of getting the ball at the end of the half (and obviously the ball to open the third quarter). McDaniels (a math student) broke all this down and found that it holds up.

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Seems that the biggest problem with the current NFL overtime rule is the coin flip. So, instead of having a coin flip, take a game stat (total yardage, time of possession, name something else) and have the team that's leading that stat have the option. At least then the sudden-death aspect of it is determined by something on the field and not luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted