1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I spent an entire summer with my feet taped up. Showering with plastic bags on your feet is always fun.

It did help, though, especially on the first or second day of taping.

2. I was diagnosed with it nearly three years ago.

It took two cortisone injections and orthotics in my shoes to clear it up, but I haven't had any pain since.

And I remember that morning pain. God, it killed getting out of bed each day.

Hang in there. You'll kick this with the right treatment.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You mean you have Aryan gardeners too?

Oh, you meant Plantar fasciitis

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Those groggy, middle of the night, get up to take a leak, first step on the ground - oh my freaking lord does it hurt. When I get up for the day, I sit on the side of the bed and stretch and roll and it isn't as bad. You put that puppy down after sleeping for a few hours? Makes me scream and holler.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Whenever a teammate had it in college, they told him to roll his foot around on a golf or tennis ball. Hurts like anything, but eventually works it out.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What's the trainer at your school say or do when athletes get it?

7. Moderator1

Rest. Ultrasound (which is sweet but doesn't last forever). I'm looking for tricks people have used. Hadn't heard of the frozen water bottle before. One goes in the freezer tonight.

My son's advice? Sack up old man. That's his standard for everything. He swears he didn't use it when he was counseling students but I'm not sure I believe that.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it was better or worse, but my first steps of the day were never the most painful. The other thing that helped me, Moddy, was not standing around in one place. Pacing around rather than standing around caused less pain for me.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lose the birks and crocs...

10. Moderator1

I got that, though the Crocs off road and Crocs RX are supposed to be OK.

11. Instead of expensive orthotics, I just use "Dr. Scholl's Advantage Arch Supports." They're blue with a red bottom.

Got a set for every pair of sneakers/shoes I own.

It really makes a difference.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was trying to be snarky without being snarky... I have used the heel cups on and off for years and it's helped with flare ups...

Draft saved Draft deleted