1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Doc will have some good answers, too, but I'm trolling for grandma's old remedies, chainsaws, whatever at this point.
    I'm trying. I really am. I'm old, I'm fat, I'm ugly. I can control one of the three and I'm trying. But my left foot is on fire. Every time I think I have it licked, it flairs up again. Right now, I think sawing it off above the ankle is a viable solution.

Any good tricks to ease the pain of and rid yourself of plantar fasciitis?

And save the snark for elsewhere. I'm in agony here and have no use for bullshit. Besides, I'm too busy looking for my saw.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wear supportive shoes.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Patients should avoid open-back shoes, sandals, "flip-flops", and any shoes without a raised heel.
    ---
    So now that you have to redo your wardrobe...
    ---
    To relieve pain and inflammation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen are often used but are of limited benefit.[5]. Patients should be encouraged to lessen activities which place more pressure on the balls of their feet because it increases tension in the plantar fascia. This is counter-intuitive because the pain is in the heel, and the heel is often sensitive to pressure which causes some patients to walk on the balls of their feet.

Local injection of corticosteroids often gives temporary or permanent relief, but may be painful, especially if not combined with a local anesthetic and injected slowly with a small-diameter needle.[6] Recurrence rates may be lower if injection is performed under ultrasound guidance.[7] Repeated steroid injections may result in rupture of the plantar fascia. This may actually improve pain initially, but has deleterious long-term consequences.

In cases of chronic plantar fasciitis of at least 10 months duration, one recent study has shown high success rates with a stretch of the plantar fascia.[8]

Pain with first steps of the day can be markedly reduced by stretching the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon before getting out of bed. Night splints can be used to keep the foot in a dorsi-flexed position during sleep to improve calf muscle flexibility and decrease morning pain. These have many different designs, some of which may be hard and may press on the origin of the plantar fascia. Softer, custom devices, of plastizote, poron, or leather, may be more helpful. Orthoses should always be broken in slowly.

---

Try using heel cups. You can find them in any sporting goods stores. Premise is simple: It takes the pressure off the ball of the heel and spreads it to the sides. Avia tennis shoes/sneakers have the same principle.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Definitely try new shoes. And do the stretching exercises, they really worked for me.

A few summers ago, my plantar fascitis flared up while I was covering NFL training camp. A few hours watching practice and having to stand absolutely killed me every day.

Once I got a new pair of shoes, and I started doing the stretching exercises, the pain slowly went away.

I feel for you, because it's a wicked pain sometimes.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Orthotic inserts worked for me...

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Mine only hurt when I woke up. Once I started stretching my feet before bed, that helped immensely.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I have suffered from it in the past, to the point where I couldn't walk when I woke up. Heel cups are definitely what worked for me.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My condolences, Moddy. I have severe plantar fasciitis in both feet and it is extremely painful. For me, the following have helped.

1. Rolling my foot over a frozen bottle of water.
    2. A night splint like this one:
    http://www.footsmart.com/P-A-Force-Dorsal-Night-Splint-10140.aspx
    3. Arch sleeves like this one:
    http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Arch-Brace-10079.aspx

Be aware, though, that everyone's plantar fasciitis is different, depending on the structure of your foot and the cause of your plantar fasciitis. I have extremely high arches, so what works for me might not work for someone with flat feet.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you have more questions. Unfortunately, I know way too much about this.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You need to get gellin, Moddy. Dr. Scholls are what my dad used, and he said he felt better in about three days.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

STRECTH STRECH STRETCH
    I agree with the frozen bottle of water. I had a really painful bout of PF and I already planned a trip to Disney World with the wife and Kids. I walked painful mile after painful mile. At the end of the day my arch would be hot to the touch. Rolling my feet over ice cold water bottles wold help. I would stretch constantly. Find a step and raise and lower yourself using your toes below the step.

I found Teva hiking sandals to be great. Also arch supports in shoes also help.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I blame those blasted Crocs.

(Is this the reason I feel like I have two club feet each morning? I thought it was just getting older. Hmm...)

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Echo the advice here: Arch supports, stretching, rolling the arch of your foot over a golf ball, arch massage and different shoes worked for me.

Tigers (Asics) gave me PF. Changed to Adiddas and Saucony, added the arch supports, and never had a problem again. It did take a while to go away, though, and did flare up occasionally when I was training for a marathon.

A podiatrist or an athletic trainer can also tape your foot to pad/alter your footfall and take the pressure off. That helped too. Head over to the gym and see if you can find a trainer to do a qick tape job for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted