1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I had it in one foot, then like a fucking virus it spread to the other foot.

Don't do the shot. You risk rupturing it down the road.

Instead of sleeping in a boot, get these socks:

http://www.marathonsports.com/produ...h5DhB5NMlVYZymNbrmh5R4u_p9x6kpzEaMaAk7C8P8HAQ

You'll wake up 90% pain free.

Advil slows the healing.

Some people think calf tightness leads to micro tears in the plantar fascia. The tearing has to stop, and the layers of the fascia have to reorganize. So light calf stretching might help.

Eccentric exercises for PF: It involves weight bearing on the fascia while stretching the fascia. You can do it on a stair with a backpack.
    And there's another one you can do with a Theraband. YouTube.

Get new shoes.

I used those green inserts.

Instead of taping, get the Feetures foot wrap socks.

Feetures! Plantar Fasciitis Sleeve - SINGLE White/Black Small Unisex Socks

I kept playing tennis all the way thru it, but just know you are more at risk for a rupture. If you rupture, you're on your ass for 6 months, but the PF is gone !

I don't believe in grinding the fascia with a nuby ball. It's a tear or series of micro tears. Why would you grind it or stab it ?

And finally ... One thing that helped me was contrast hydrotherapy at night. Stick feet in bucket of ice for 2 mins, stick feet in warm bath for 2 mins, back in the ice, back in the bath. End with the ice. Put the Strassburg socks on and go to bed.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Primarily, I've been ignoring it. That seems to have helped a little bit.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Good god, that last paragraph. If I did that ice / warm bath dipping, I am sure I would wet the bed.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The nubby ball didn't do anything for me, although the friend who gave it to me swears by it. Really, for me the thing that works best isn't doable for (most) men; wearing shoes with a high heel. For me, the higher the better. It's the only thing that consistently keeps the pain at bay. Both doctors I saw recommended it. I risk Achilles' tendinitis but as they both said, I can't worry about what's down the road. It's been about 10 years and I haven't had any non-PF problems. I wear flats/sneakers more often than I used to but if there's a lot of walking, the pain flares up until I'm back in a heel.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

That's funny Dyno... I can't wear flat shoes either. Something with a heel is my most comfortable shoe. These zero drop sneakers are murder on my feet.

I do have a little Achillies tendinitis on one side, but it is much more manageable than the PF was.

Dyno likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don't rupture your achilles!! Worst injury ever; non-weight bearing cast for a month; then rehab for about 6+ mos; don't think I got to full speed running until a year later; still had lingering thoughts in head for another several months thereafter. Not painful, the initial injury, but what a rehab.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just chop the fucking foot off.

Dyno likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Rick Monday and Kobe Bryant approve this message.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not to contradict the wise and esteemed Luggy in any way, but the nubby ball worked for me. I would say I had a relatively mild case, however. First time it cropped up, I was jogging and thought I suddenly had a stone in my shoe. Very strange feeling.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Chef once removed his own hamstring using nothing but a spork and a case of Meister Brau.

Vombatus, Chef2 and BDC99 like this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I (along with Norm from Cheers) love Meister Brau.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

More classic Do-It-Yourself advice from chef.

Draft saved Draft deleted