1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Anyhoo. Sunshine, what kind of activities? I got my case, which lasted a few years (til I stopped playing) from running in cleats on the rock-hard clay at the local softball fields. The frozen bottle isn't for anything more than relief, as far as I know. The towel upper-foot stretch and shoe inserts didn't do much for me.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Que?

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Or was it Versatile?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had the problem a few years ago and threw out my old shoes and got new ones. Problem solved instantaneously.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Was going to mention that, but if you're playing a sport and not just running it might not be that simple.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm fucked.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Just from treadmill running, I suppose. Hitting a heavy bag is the only other exercise where significant foot movement comes into play.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And I'm a pretty compassionate and sensitive person, but in a Good Feet commercial that runs in fairly heavy rotation here (not sure if it's local), the guy, nearly in tears, says "sometimes I would sit down and cry and just ask the good Lord to take me." Because his feet hurt.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I would look into a decent pair of shoes first then.

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

I was hoping to solve this problem through my usual mix of stubborness and ignorance, with no money involved.

But new shoes likely will be my first recourse.

BDC99 likes this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's way more fun to talk about Sunshine's feet than Trump cheating at golf!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Foot pain sucks and Plantar Fasciitis is particularly nasty. I've got very flat feet, which led to strained tendons in both feet. It makes exercise difficult, which in turn makes it harder to lose weight to take pressure off the feet.

I've seen some great advice on this thread. It really helps to have a physical therapist show you the best ways to massage and stretch. That means going to a doctor and getting the right treatment. I'm using a combination of orthodics and physical therapy for now, but there is a decent chance I'm going to eventually need surgery. The structural problems in my foot are simply putting too much strain on the soft tissues.

The most important thing is to act as quickly as possible. Many other foot injuries can be a result of structural problems, so you need to deal with those to find long-term pain relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted