1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

OK, I should know better than to use the word "cock" on sj.com.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I love lamp.

(I have no recollection as to the history of that on sj.com, but I know it is a thing.)

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This thing worked great for me.
    So did dropping 40 pounds.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Where did the shot go in? The arch? How big the needle?
    That would have to be one of the scariest places for a shot.

5. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Damn, this is uncanny. Two afternoons ago (Saturday) my heel started hurting. I ran through it Sunday morning – foolishly, it now appears – and by last night I had Internet-diagnosed myself with plantar fascitis. I've been scouring for exercises, but didn't expect to see it on sj.com. I thought briefly that it was an ad that knew of my Googling.

I'm a longtime runner, though reduced to a weekend runner these days (every Saturday and Sunday) because of work demands. I suspect this sprung up because I mixed some sprints in on Saturday, after the Chicago heat got to me and I couldn't finish my "regular" 45-minute run. Then again I've done similar workouts before with no such issue; who knows. All things considered I've been quite lucky with running injuries over the years so I'm hoping to clear this up soon-ish, but this thread is making me worry. Though it's nice to know I'm not alone.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have high arches and wore orthodics in both shoes for about 18 months when I got it. It finally went away, but would come back when I trained for a marathon and upped my mileage to 40-50 a week. It was awful, but it does go away eventually.

Lugnuts likes this.
  7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's been 12 years and I can still feel the exact place where the needle went in. The shots went into the place where I felt the pain - not in my arch. They went in my heels, sort of in the side/bottom of each foot. The needle was pretty fucking big. Bigger than a tetanus or flu shot needle. The numbing/freezing spray didn't seem to work either. The first set of shots didn't help all that much, but the second set, months later did. They were sort of a last resort, because nothing else was helping. I think the doctor was afraid to give me the shots, because of the way I screamed the first time around.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have super high arches (the first thing the orthopedist said to me, before he even said hello was, "Wow, you have some high arches.") and they said orthotics wouldn't work for me. I also have a high instep, though, so maybe that figured into it. They said orthotics wouldn't really fit in my shoes. I'm a woman, so maybe that had something to do with it, too. Smaller feet, smaller shoes.

9. Riptide

Thanks for posting. I guess I have a minor case of PF, and my doctor said that's where a shot would go in, too. But he said it wouldn't be very painful. Don't think I'll choose that route, though.

I roll my feet on the little nubby balls whenever needed, and that seems to help.

Nubby balls!

[​IMG]

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Good orthotic inserts - not the ones you buy in a drug store, the ones that are specifically fitted to your feet - along with soft soled shoes for daily use will help. So will most if not all of the things suggested here.

However, the thing you really need is patience. Even with all of the things outlined above, it may take 6 months to a year to get this right.

Oh, and surgery should be the absolute LAST resort.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Lugnuts likes this.
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Isnt I love lamp from Anchorman?

12. Riptide

By way of Moddy ...

Draft saved Draft deleted