1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plantar fasciitis

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Anybody here have any luck getting rid of it while still remaining active? Push-ups won't keep me from getting fat(ter).

Easily the most annoying injury I've ever had.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

never had it, but exercise bike or rowing machine probably would be better than treadmill or road running.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Following because I'm going through the same. I try walking on the treadmill (2 miles with varying hills) and it's fine while walking, but an hour later I can barely muster enough strength to walk to my vehicle.

Someone suggested insoles, another person suggested surgery (but I hear surgery is very temporary) and my doctor just suggested some stretching exercises (which seem to help, but for only so long).

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Swimming?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've had it. Two recommendations:

1) Get one of those braces that you wear at night that cocks your foot upward a bit. Those gadgets really DO HELP.

2) Don't screw around, go see a doc, get a script/order for physical therapy, and get a PT person to work on it and proscribe some exercises to help.

I will see if I can find a photo of the brace that I mention in point 1 above.

Regards,
    VB

6. Vombatus

[​IMG]

The one above is made by Berg, and it should be useful for either foot. It might cost a little more than some of the flimsier gadgets that you might find in a grocery store that pulls your toes back, but believe me - you want something you can wear throughout the night that you don't wind up kicking off. This thing above straps you in really well and is a bit like wearing a cast, but you will be able to get to sleep with it AND feel comfortable.

PS: leg not included. This isn't Fargo shit.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a chronic case in both feet. It's horrible. Mostly, it doesn't bother me as long as I avoid too much weight-bearing activity so no running or long hikes.

Different things work for different people, depending on the structure of your foot. Orthotics were not for me, for example, but they are a godsend for some. Definitely go to a doctor. I went to both an orthopedist and a podiatrist. I had both the night splint (what Vombatus suggested above) and a Strasbourg sock. They may have helped, but more often than not, I woke up with them on the floor next to the bed because I woke up during the night and took them off. Neither doctor recommended PT for me.

Rolling my arches over a frozen water bottle helps. When I first got it, I had my feet taped up once a week, which helped, but was a nightmare - had to put bags on my feet to shower, no going to the beach or pool (it was the summer). I had the dreaded cortisone shots - twice. Avoid at all costs. Most painful thing I've ever experienced. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and I was screaming in the doctor's office.

Good luck.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Another thing is this rocking device - this is an exercise gadget that seems to help. Agree with Dyno, different things work at different times for various folks.

Unilateral Prostretchâ„¢ - SPRI

This particularly one is made by SPRI:
    [​IMG]

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

So you want him to get a cock-up brace for his foot?

Johnny Wadd and Brock Landers aren't overly impressed.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That would make a nice lamp.

Baron Scicluna, Riptide and Vombatus like this.
  11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I went to a doctor last year because I had this same thing, and I had a sty on my eyelid. The doc looked at my foot, pressed here and there, and said yes, I had plantar fasciitis. Then he started poking around on my eye WITHOUT washing his hands. Damn, dude. I was too shocked to say anything. I had an appointment for a physical with him set up for a couple of months out, and canceled that. Found a new doc.

All that being said, stretching helped the fasciitis. I stretched my foot before I got out of bed in the morning, and I never walked barefoot. It hurt for a year or so, but eventually got better.

Draft saved Draft deleted