1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planning trip to Yankee Stadium/NYC ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It'd be fun to get that in poster size and take it to Fenway and convince all the yahoos it's him. :D

2. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Because I didn't see it mentioned: The Arthur Ave. section of the Bronx should not be missed. It's the Little Italy that Manhattan no longer has. Great restaurants, pastry shops, etc. And under the radar enough that it still has the authentic feel.

Here's my recommendation: If you have the money, stay in Manhattan, if you don't want to spend as much, New Jersey is fine. We've found some very affordable and very fine places to stay in the East Rutherford/Route 17 area. The commute to N.Y. is easy from there. Head to the Bronx in the afternoon and hit Arthur Ave. Get a good lunch or early dinner, pack some cannolis for the game, and head back south. There is no reason to pay for parking, grab a spot nearby on the Grand Concourse. It's free, but just watch the no parking signs for certain times/days.

Neither Arthur Ave nor the Grand Concourse near the stadium are in shady areas, especially on game days. Plenty of people around -- no better or worse than any place in Manhattan that I've found.

My wife and I have had some great day trips to Yankee Stadium, and I hate that damn team, too.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How much does it cost to tour Monument Park?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Long Island Expressway?

I have good memories of the time I took it. I was heading from New York to Boston for the MLS Cup in 1996. It was raining buckets, and I'd given up on this particular LIE train until I heard the conductor yell, "Where are you?" They waited until I got on the train before they left.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm pretty sure it's free once you're through the stadium gates.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

New York sucks giant, hairy monkey balls.

If I never see that Godforsaken hellhole, it will be too motherfucking soon.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what Homer Simpson said, too. He had fun -- until he had to go to the bathroom.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Warning to those who think Yankee Stadium is a beautiful place. It is once you get to your seats.
    The rest of the place is as much a dump as Shea. The ramps and concourses are narrow, dirty and smelly and the bathrooms are an abomination.
    Went last summer (Hi. IJAG!) for the first time in about 15 years and was appalled at how the place had deteriorated.

And, seriously, Vonnegut, your mother wouldn't let you go to the Bronx at night when you were 18? Holy shit!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did I make you watch my purse one time when you were up in the seats?

If not, I should have. :D

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, you did.

But you also had a strange habit of walking behind me all the time ;)

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because the concourses were so narrow I couldn't walk next to you. And you're a speedy old bastard!

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, that's your story now.

Draft saved Draft deleted