1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planning trip to Yankee Stadium/NYC ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 28, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've been to NYC before, but that was in my freshman year in 1999. I'm sure the city has changed a lot since then...

A friend and I are planning a trip to go to Yankee Stadium for a game or two this summer, but I'm wondering what else we could do in the city/places to stay away from/cheap hotels/good restaurants/etc.
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't come. We don't like yer kind 'round here. :D

Stay on Long Island and take the train into the city (and the subway to Yankee Stadium). You will save a shitload of $$$.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fuck that ... not worth the travel time. What is it an hour and half train ride from Shea to Grand Central? Plus another 35 to the Bronx? Stay in the city.

You could try to get tickets for Letterman or Conan, which are free. I don't think you can really control what date you get them for, but you could sign up for them online and just plan your trip around whatever date you get.

My friends and I once skipped classes to go see Letterman, then hopped on the subway to the Bronx, scalped tickets outside the stadium and got to our seats just in time for the national anthem. Great day.
  4. KYSportsWriter

You damn bastard. :D

How far is it from LI to the Bronx?

How much does the average scalped ticket go for nowadays? A coach in my area bought his off Ebay, but paid about twice as much as he would have through the Stadium.
  5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Figuring this is the last season at Yankee Stadium, I would figure ticket prices would be marked up pretty high with scalpers. What you could do is wait until after the first inning and try to get scalped tickets. Prices go way down.
  6. bigpern23

It'll also depend on who they're playing and what day it is. A Wednesday night game against the Rays, for instance, shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Hard to say how much the tix would cost from a scalper because there's so many variables (seat location, day/time, opponent, etc). Yanks were playing Oakland the day we went (think it was a Wednesday) and we got four seats two rows from the field in left for like $15 each.

Also, if you want to attend a taping of Conan, the phone # is (212) 664-3056. You can call to book your tickets or you can show up at 30 Rock at 9 a.m. to get standby tix. They give out 75 standby tix, but they're not a guarantee that you'll get to see the show. Taping lasts from 4:15 to 6:30 p.m.
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you're going to Shea, it's worth staying on the Island and driving to the dump. No bridges to travel over and the traffic doesn't usually get bad until LGA.

I still say the $$$ you save in hotels makes it worth taking the train into NYC and/or Yankee Stadium as well.
  8. bigpern23

Oh yeah, if you're going to Shea staying on LI is the way to go. I was just using that as a reference point for the amount of time it takes to get into the city.

How much time and money KYSW has really determine if it's worth it to stay on LI. I just think a moderately priced hotel in the city is worth it rather than spending three hours on the train every day to get in and out of the city, particularly if you're not going to be there very long.

I've also heard the Staten Island Ferry is a nice ride, though I've never been on it.
  9. Eat at Mickey Mantle's on Central Park South. Adds to the "baseball experience."

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but Orbitz has some great deals right now on airfare/hotels. A co-worker and I are staying two nights at the Barclay and getting roundtrip, non-stop flights with American for $608 each in June.
  10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mantle's is OK, if a bit overrated. A much better alternative, of course, to the Hard Rock/ESPN bullshit.

There's a great Italian joint called Carmine's at 44th and Broadway. One dinner is large enough for two.
  11. KYSportsWriter

Can you just book a hotel through orbitz? I think this is going to be a roadtrip than flying.
  12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The latest management change at Mantle's is NOT for the better, if you catch my drift.

Carmine's is solid and a good value, but it can be hell to get a table, and it's much more fun with a large group.
Draft saved Draft deleted