1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planning a wedding

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Feb 18, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding Woody Allen-esque . . .

I don't think I could ever seriously entertain the thought that 300 people would not have something better to do than to see someone else get married. Especially if that someone was me.

2. Concerning the photographer, chances are you work at a newspaper and are close with a photog. Get them to cut you a deal.

Our photographer was a former co-worker, did an awesome job and she refused to let me pay her.

3. andrews_mom

andrews_mom New Member

don't forget the little things, like having to tip all your vendors =(

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I work at a newspaper.
    We don't have a photog.
    Which I hate more from a newspaper perspective than a wedding perspective

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You work at a newspaper without a photog? That must be the grayest newspaper ever.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We really didn't pay for much of anything. We paid for the dress, one of the cakes and a few Spartan decorations. My uncle married us. My aunt, the baker, made the cakes. Another aunt, a caterer, handled the reception along with other family members. I worked at a newspaper, so a buddy took the photos and gave me the film. I sent the negatives to a color service in B'ham.

7. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

So what you're saying is that your'e very lucky to have so many family members working in the catering/hospitality business who took care of your wedding as a gift to you. That's awesome, but it's not reality for most people.

I know we'll recoup a lot of what we pay out of pocket in gifts/checks, so I'm not worried. The future wife losing her job, that's the bigger issue.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah, they just make the reporters shoot. Lots of smallish newspapers are going that route.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ding Ding Ding.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If I would've paid every fucking dime, it wouldn't have been over $10,000 -- much less 35. That's in-freaking-sane.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't know what our wedding cost, but I don't think it was very much. The only thing I insisted on was that there be food and beer for our newspaper friends who were driving across the state and staying in a hotel. My FIL wanted just champagne and cake in the church parish hall, but most of our guests were already spending a fair amount to come to this (from a paper where I was making about $350/week at the time). So we had two receptions: the aforementioned parish hall affair, then a smaller party at my in-laws house, just for relatives and our friends. Everyone had a fine time.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned it up here, but let's say I have a 3p.m. reception. What types of food would you guys suggest?

Draft saved Draft deleted