1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planet Fitness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Successful first visit in the books - a bit longer walk than I figured, just over a mile but that's OK. Clean, had everything I needed. Tried the elliptical and that's indeed the way for me to go. Did some light dumbbell exercises. Enjoyed it. I'm hoping I can make a habit out of four visits a week and continue my daily walking.

Flip Wilson and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mine has a nasty locker room, old TVs, no towels and cardio equipment which is 3-5 years old. I literally walk in, use the elliptical and walk out to my cat when I’m done. But it’s $160 a year, which even with my great corporate rate, is the same as 2 months at Equinox (albeit without the chilled and scented towels, etc.)

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's great that your cat just hangs around outside until you're done. :)

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Used up all of the miles on my car lease. It’s tough with a cat, but the parking is easy.

Slacker likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My Crunch is fine. I usually go after work about 5:30 p.m. and it's never crowded. The locker room is adequate and there are always open elipitcals and treadmills. The TVs don't matter because I watch something on my phone or listen to a game, music or podcast. My only complaint is that the music is really loud in the locker room, but that may just be me being an old man.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Assuming $80 a month at Equinox is a corporate rate, too, and that is a fantastic rate for them. I'm not up on their monthly cost, but I am guessing it is in the $250 or $300 a range per month for most people at this point.

I was a member years ago. No chilled or scented towels that I remember, but the place was kept ridiculously clean compared to other gyms I have belonged to. That was fantastic, but other than that, I didn't think the place lived up to the lame mystique and lifestyle nonsense they try to sell.

There is an independently owned gym even closer to our building, which has been there for decades, in a historic old hotel. I belonged there for years before my Equinox experience, and felt super comfortable there. ... until my locker got picked and ripped off, and from talking to others it seemed likely it was an inside job. The shrew general manager gave me attitude and showed no concern when I told her about it, and it pissed me off. Then, they did a massive renovation that turned the whole gym into a giant construction mess that lasted way too long, but with no refund or consideration for customers' inconvenience, and when the same GM acted like she could care less about people's complaints, I was ready to bolt. A new Equinox was about to open in my neighborhood, and I signed up for a membership for a reduced rate -- sight unseen because they were still doing the construction. It was great for a while, but after a few years when the fees were just going higher and higher, I couldn't justify it any longer.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Most gyms I have belonged to lock in the rate you started with for succeeding years.

With 24 Hour Fitness I paid a lot up front, but succeeding years were, like, $50 per. And I could work out at any of them across the country.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I just got home from a locally-owned gym. Did a crossfit-kinda class today. Did weights one day and cardio another earlier in the week. It's usually kind of expensive, about $70 a month, which is a lot considering I can take classes at the university where I work for $50 a semester. But local gym had a holiday special: Unlimited classes for four weeks for $25. University workouts don't start for another couple of weeks, so I'm doing this.

And I do better with organized classes than trying to work out on my own. And the dude who runs the local gym and leads most classes is cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted