1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planet Fitness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And you can tell your bank to stop paying that account, right? I had a gym try to stop me from closing my membership when my contract was up. I laughed and told them they weren't getting any more money out of me, no matter what they tried. The gym even tried coming back around, for $600 plus penalty fees, one whole year later. I ignored that, too, and never heard another peep.

My credit rating is excellent, so I wasn't about to worry about that. Never saw a mark against it, though, and I had the paperwork to support my position anyway. But I refuse to let gym nonsense scare me. My next step would have been to tell the gym that I would report them to the state attorney general. If that doesn't scare 'em away, game on.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much does it cost them to keep it open late at night? They're only paying someone $10/hour (if that) to work the desk, and then pay the lights bill. That's it. If it allows them to sell 50 more memberships a month, it's worth it.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

the 24/7 things works with a card swipe system. if you want to work out at 2 a.m., you may be the only person in there, but you get access. You also assume liability if you get mugged, have a stroke, break a leg, etc. because no staff member will be in until 8 a.m. or so.

They may charge you extra for that time....not sure so make sure to check that in the contract.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Planet Fitness usually has a person on premises. Anytime Fitness is one of the chains that uses the key fob thingy for 24-7 access.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

sorry, you are correct. I confused the two.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So more than seven years later - I noticed there's a Planet Fitness within walking distance. Twenty cents to join, 40 bucks once a year and 10 bucks a month. That's for the regular membership, I don't need the guest passes and whatever else. I just want some decent cardio equipment and a place to do some light weights.

Seems like a no-brainer, right? But I still hear some so-so and some negative comments about the chain. This one is open 24 hours during the week but I don't need that. I'd go this time of day.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

For what you want, it's ideal. Worth the upgrade to 20 bucks a month if that location has the HydroMassage beds. You get a nice, invigorating "massage" any time you want. Plus, the upgrade gives you access to all other PF locations when traveling.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think this one does have the beds, I'll see if they'll give me a free spin in one. I'm not traveling enough to make that other bennie worthwhile, though I wonder how easy it is to switch if I do move back to the D.C. area?

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I only use the treadmill and for $10/month you can’t beat it. The weights arent great if you’ll looking for high level stuff or more than machines

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I’ve been to Planet Fitnesses in Alaska, Florida, Virginia and Ontario over the past 10 years. All pretty similar. For someone who wants no frills, it works. Clean and functional. The folks behind the counter are helpful about ... 40% of the time? You get what you pay for there.

Never had a wrong charge or been spammed by calls and emails after canceling a membership. Maybe I’m lucky.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's easy to switch locations occasionally. But, again, the access to a HydroMassage (or to or three) every time you step in the place is well worth a mere $10 a month. Massage chairs, too.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bit of a crossthread ...

This new Planet Fitness ad where the woman is in a spin class and the instructor has everybody hiss at her for falling behind on the leaderboard pisses me off. When the woman is doing the spin class, she's sweating. Her hair is messed up. She's working hard to keep up (but can't). Then she goes to Planet Fitness and is shown gently peddling an exercise bike with perfect hair and no sweat.

Yeah, I get it. PF is a "judgement-free zone." But what message are sending to consumers with that? You don't need to work hard at the gym? It will be easy? No wonder their business model is built on people signing up for $10 per month and hoping 80-percent never use the facility.

Draft saved Draft deleted